Best board charger?

Mellow Yellow 1806V

On June 29, 2016 at 3:01 PM, DaveC said:

The Minn Kota (and most all) won't charge a battery that is determined by the charger to be "dead", they won't read low voltage.  That's is why it will work after a direct charge manually to bring the voltage in the battery back up then it can "read" the battery and charge.  That Powermania charger will charge a zero volt battery up even if the Ac power input drops to 90% capacity.  So with the voltage drop that occurs when the extension chord is plugged in (more length worse it is) we lose line voltage before we even start to charge... 

I had the same problem with my 4 bank MK....a cat or something go on my console and played piano on my switches and I had forgotten to turn off the main power...

I burned up one bilge pump and one live well motor as it sat for a week...(nice to have WM insurance plan !!!)...the system would not charge the house battery, so I had to use m external MK trickle charger...took about 6 hours to bring it back up to where the MK 4 bank would recognize it...then it continued to charge....made it for the morning fishing trip as I had a backup 1/2/all switch and she then charged during the day....

Rare occurrence, but, SH%%%^T happens...and, ALWAYS THE NIGHT BEFORE YOU ARE GOING FISHING !!!! UGGGGGH !!!

D

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:59 PM, Mellow Yellow 1806V said:

Ok so I just bought the NOCO gen2 20A 2 bank. This will work with my standard interstate batteries correct? I get lost in battery types. IL keep everyone updated as far as install if interested. 

You got to read the instillation manual. Most newer chargers have a battery selection switch; one position is for lead acid, another position for AGM and another position for Gel. Yes, keep us posted on the instillation, always willing to learn something new.

Installed the NOCO GEN 2 20A 2 Bank Friday evening in my 1806V pathfinder. Didn't have many options as far as where I could mount it so I mounted it to the floor under the console. Thought about mounting it on the side of the console but decided against it due to the weight. Didn't want to stress the console. So far so good. Charged my batteries up very quickly lastnight after a day on the water. Only problem I have is I need to find the console cover that buttons up to keep that area closed up when I'm not charging. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. This is my first on board charger and I love the convenience of it. 

20160703_124130.jpg

20160703_124120.jpg

I you made something like this, then the charger would be up off the floor (not so subject to weather) and it would free-up some floor space. Looks like you got some plywood on the floor. That would work, but it needs to be painted (both sides) with some good paint.

charger shelf.png

Archived