Jack Plate and Trim Settings

Hookem40

I just bought a 2200TRS. I'm trying to figure out the "sweet spots" for the jack plate and trim. I know there are many factors such as speed, water conditions,etc. I'm new to using a jack plate and I quickly figured out that you don't want it all the way up at high speeds. Especially while turning. My jack plate goes from 1 to 6 (1 with motor down and 6 with motor all the way up. The trim has about 10 bars (no bars for down and 10 for all the way up. Any tips on trib tabs would be great as well.

All hulls, motors and props vary. That's just something you'll have to experiment with, but most motors run (plane) best between 1 & 2 on the jack plate. Anything above that is for motoring in shallow water. With regard to trim,  2 to 4 bars will get the bow up and be more efficient in smooth or little chop. Anything above that is just for the haul-azz mode. Maybe someone with your exact set-up will have more accurate information.

SCFD is correct, I have a TE with the same motor, seems like about 3 on the jackplate and 6 - 7 on the trim provides the highest speed. Just for cruising, 1 - 2 on the jackplate and 3 - 5 on the trim works out fine depending on conditions. Am sure these settings are dependent on specific boat setups, weight, balance and prop.

The prop you run makes most of the difference. When I ran an OFX Powertech the boat ran better with the jack plate 2-3 and 3-4 bars on the trim. Since I went to the Rev 4 0-1 works best on the plate and 2-21/2 best on the trim.

There is obviously more to it than what is above but for our TE with 3 aboard and normal load that's what we found. Keep in mind the TRS is about 300 lbs lighter than a TE in real life.

Too many factors to give any solid answer as stated above.  The simple method I use when trying a new setup is the following.

Have the JP low to start with (0-2).  Trim out until you loss speed or grip or you are gaining rpms without any speed gains. Then trim in a hair.  Next just raise the JP and watch for speed increase or decrease.  This puts me pretty close to the sweet spot.

All of the above statements are correct. I have a OFX 4 power tech prop and the load makes a difference in my boat. When i am cruising raising the jack plate will raise the RPM but not the speed below about 4700 rpm. Above that I bring it up to 2. On the top end, my boat runs best with the backplate around 3. On the trim, the gauge depends on how your boat was set up. My advice is to put the jack plate around 3 and trim until the boat stops accelerating. (of course watch water pressure) in certain conditions I can trim mine way up. and with some loads trim above 3 doesn't make a difference. Enjoy the boat. I just crossed 300 hrs and I love it.

8 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

No need to for any gauges.....most important is water pressure gauge....

key item is OFX 4 blade....you'll learn from the feel of the boat...

dc

agree 100% on the gauges, feel of the boat is everything, same for trim tabs.

Archived