1968 Cobia

VINTAGE68

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked everywhere on the fathometer and cannot find a brand.

Would like to know if anyone has any info on her. I don't even know her model.

Bad/sad news though. Though constructed like a battleship, someone forgot to gl*** under the stringers and cross members. Soooo, not only are they and the floor shot, but also the wood gl***ed to the hull and the skeg itself. Have removed about 250#+ of wet plywood so far, with more to go. Not an easy job. }:(

• 4 months later...

Hey Vintage68,

Had this same boat-bought it in 1965 from Bob Hewes senior in Miami. I had just got out of college and bought this boat instead of a house.The boat was made in Orlando at that time and Bob drove up to look at the factory since he was not a dealer for Cobia at that time. He said that if I didn't like the boat I didn't have to buy it.

My boat had 120hp mercuiser(Chevy 11 four cylinder engine-same seat lay out--sunbather seats they called them and the p***-thru windshield. sure had a great time with this boat.Since that time I have owned 7 other Hewes and I wouldn't buy any other make

Hopw you can rehab this boat.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:susel: Sorry I haven't been back for a while. Thanks for your replies & encouragement. We had record cold all winter and now we're trying for new heat records this summer. I'm working without shelter so it makes it difficult.

I'm hoping to get back on track here soon, meanwhile I'll try and find my photo-bucket account and upload some pics.

Thanks Again,

Scott

I did a re deck on one of these about 10 years ago and I found the same...they only tabbed in the stringers, and every thing was rotted...easy job though. Just wrap the new stringers with 1708 biaxial cloth and use 3/4 marine grade plywood for the deck. if you want it to last make sure you put some 3/4 oz. chopped mat on the underside of the plywood before you put it in. thats the way I did it and its still solid to this day

Archived