Pathfinder Front Hatch Hinge Screws coming out

fishmanjj

Forward front hatch hinge screws stripping out : is it just me because my 2009 Pathfinder 2200XL takes a pounding sometimes fishing out front of beach areas here in Coastal Georgia...or has anyone else had to make some repairs on screws holding the two hinges onto the forward front hatch ?  Not the anchor locker hatch, the large forward front hatch. The design has two self tapping screws and one through bolt type holding the hinges onto the hatch. I have cleaned and filled the holes with glass / resin, put new screws in...they last about 4 trips...so I tried marine two part epoxy , new screws and once again, they have stripped out....the one through bolt that also holds the hinge has stayed tight, but the two self tapping type screws do not stay ( even with 5200 being added to threads). That hatch is big and heavy,  not sure if this design is still current on newer models.

Looking for suggestions from others who may have had this issue. Anybody tried the through bolt for all three holes ? 

I had similar problems in my 2006 TE, but mine were cause by someone sitting on the hatch while a bow line was caught between the hatch lid and frame, weakening the fiberglass on one side.  From there, the screws never held.  I ended up reinforcing the fiberglass at both hinges, adding a custom cut stainless steel washer (like a backing plate, and replacing the self-tapping screws and bolting the hinges in place.  It's worked perfectly ever since then.

BFOQ :  Did you have to cut into the underside of hatch cover to place the backing plate behind the two upper screws ?  On mine, those two screws are "inside" the thickness of the hatch cover and there is only room for the one existing through bolted one from the factory............

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 6:16 AM, fishmanjj said:

BFOQ :  Did you have to cut into the underside of hatch cover to place the backing plate behind the two upper screws ?  On mine, those two screws are "inside" the thickness of the hatch cover and there is only room for the one existing through bolted one from the factory............

It required no cutting.  Had to use some short bolts and nuts with a thin stainless washer/backing, but it was all accessible without a cut.

Archived