1994 Hewes Redfisher Restoration Project

jblauch

Here's pics from the first day I bought this 18' 1994 Redfisher with a 1994 115 Johnson 2-stroke. Picked the BMT up for $7700. What a great hull. As a first time boat owner, I couldn't be happier with it. I've been doing things here and there on it, but have plans to make this thing gleam with new hardware, electronics, trim, decals, etc.. More pics to come with the upgrades. Any body else working on a 1994 Redfisher?

I have a '94 16 tornament..re-did everything.. its a great boat and I've had it since new.

Do yourself a favor and yank out the factory fuse block if its giving you any electrical issues..replace it with a small breaker panel.makes life a lot easier. run it hard and have fun...............................

Except for the fact that 3 of 4 livewell pumps didn't function (2 don't switch on, 1 blows fuses) when I bouhgt it, I havent had any major electrical issues yet. When you say fuse block, do you mean the bus panel in the center console or the block in the stern starboard side large hatch? Is the livewell pump issues consistent with what you are speaking of?

Also, alot of the work that I've done is under the hatches (replacing batteries, fixing gunnel lights, installing a GPS to the cc, fixing shoddy wiring, filling in drill holes/cracks, etc.). I've begun on the fun stuff (replacing worn decals, replacing comp***, installing depth finder, new rod holders on the back polong platform) lately. I am definitley not going to be doing any cutting!!!

Also, does about 2.3 to 2.5 MPG and a top speed of about 36 or 37 seem about right for this setup?

Also, does about 2.3 to 2.5 MPG and a top speed of about 36 or 37 seem about right for this setup?

You should be around 3mpg for that engine.

That engine should get you just over 40.....that looks like an old looper, so it should turn at least 5500rpms. You should have in between a 17 and 19 pitch prop. If you have a decent prop and your not turning up the RPMs you should consider having the carbs rebuilt (did u check compression)

I usually don't take it over 5600 or 5700 rpm's. Can I safely take it up to 6000 or more without killing that engine? I don't believe it's a Loopy engine, though. I have a SS 3 blade prop, not sure of the pitch. It's in good shape. I've been reading here and there and it seems that this set up on different vessels always seem to get around 40 or 45. I have 4 batteries on mine, troller, 2 anchors, etc. adding extra weight.

Pics are decieving, the boat was watered down before the pic. There is some work to be done on this boat!

I recently had the engine in for it's yearly maintenance and compression was checked when I purchased. All checked out ok. I did have some water in the fuel at one point, from which the carbs were checked/cleaned by a friend/very knowledgable mechanic. So, all these areas don't seem to be creating the top speed problem. I'm guessing the prop is my problem. How do you check the pitch?

If you dont see the measurements on the exterior of the prop, pull it off and look at the backside of the hub....it should be stamped on the rim of the hub.

If you're easily spinning the rpms up above 5700, you likely have too small of prop.......fully trimmed you want to be hitting around 57k.

If you're easily spinning the rpms up above 5700, you likely have too small of prop.......fully trimmed you want to be hitting around 57k.

With the hammer almost all the way down (maybe 90-95%) full throttle, trimmed, and nice waters .. it'll definitely get to 5700 to 5900. Not sure if that's considered "easily". I'm guessing, since I've never actually had the hammer all the way down, it'd get right to 6000 at that point. Does that sound like a better prop is needed? Kinda nervous to go above that 5800 5900 mark.

Nice ride.

I had a v-4 OMC and I think they should max out in the 55-5600 range. Your prop maybe too small or worn out if you are turnning 6k.

The Redfishers are lighter than my Bayfisher and I see low 40s.

I may have my old props off my old OMC if you would like to give them a shot. I had a 17ss and a 21ish AL.

Ok. I'm going with SS only ... I need to pull off my prop and see what I have first I guess. Maxing out at 36 mph (at about 5700 5800) with 2 guys full gear does seem to fall around the numbers you are giving me .. which was what I was seeing about 3 weeks ago. Maybe the prop is ok. I really would like to get a top speed with just me driving on a calm day. Thanks for the info and keep you posted.

ok, thanks for the info. think i'll ping my mechanic to see what kind of props he may have lying around that might be in my size range. not sure if you posted earlier about the prop size ... what do you recommend? i have a 3 blade ss on there now. i need to take my prop off and see what pitch.

• 1 month later...

I got my decals made at Fastsigns. I looked everywhere for them original, but couldn't find the exact size and color to match. I took digital pics of the original worn out decals, touched them up in Microsoft Paint on my PC, dimentioned them, and brought them to Fast Sign. For the 2 stern decals, 1 cockpit decal, a new capacity plate decal, and 1 I designed for the side of the center console, it ran me about $150. I don't have pictures posted of these yet, but will get them on here ASAP as I have just revamped the center console as well with a new comp***, fishfinder, etc.. I didn't go to CCC, but my brother did. His name is Justin. What's your name?

Archived