Minn Kota Talon 6' Cable Broke

ThePerfectGame

Hello everyone,

My Minn Kota Talon cable broke this weekend while fishing and let me tell you what a nightmare.  I had to dismount it from the bracket,  cut the electrical, and place it inside the boat to be able to get home (two hours later).  I hope none of you experience this.  I called Minn Kota and was advised I had to take it to Oakland Park, Florida for repair as its the closet facility to Miami. That facility is almost 2.5 hours from my house and top of the that they couldn't advise the cost of the cables nor their hourly service charge.  My question to you all is, has anyone had their Talon repaired in the Miami area?  The unit is only three years old, I really do not want to toss it. 

Thanks in advance,

Daniel   

• 2 months later...

Same thing happened to me last week on my 8' Talon. I managed to hold the pole up with a long sleeve shirt and idle my way back, but if that wouldn't have worked I would've had to do the same.

I have managed to find the piece online for about $50 and may look into taking a crack at fixing it myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/272298917107?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

On 9/16/2016 at 10:34 AM, Miss Jazzy said:

Not to say Minn Kota products are inferior but another good reason to own Power Pole. One phone call and the part would have been shipped next day air at no cost to you. They're customer service is unbelievable!!

I'd say yes and no. The cable is probably the most important part of a talon. Out of warranty, I'm not sure power pole would just send out a new pump for someone. I do think if a power pole breaks it is easier to limp home for sure. 

PowerPole customer service can't be beat no doubt. Luckily they have switched the talons to a much beefier design and made it a 5 year warranty which doesn't help the op. 

Op, there isn't a single minn Kota service center near you? 

Linesider 159 I'd have to disagree and say a Minn Kota Talon cable would more similar to a Power-Pole Shallow Water Anchor hydraulic line than a pump. I believe Power-Pole would happily send a hydraulic line if it were to fail. BTW the Power-Pole pump can be sent in and repaired for little to no charge to the customer even after warranty.

Archived