Watch your stuff

Drummer

So yesterday we're anchored on the bar just north of Boca Grande, fly fishing for tarpon or anything else. A school of jacks cruises by. We unclip, chase the fish, and land a couple. When we came back, maybe 20 minutes later, the anchor and buoy are gone. I see an ugly green boat with three guys in it idling away from the area, so I fly up and ask, "Hey, have you guys seen my anchor and buoy?" Response from one of the kids in the boat was, "Yes, we have it right here."  They gave it back, but the boat captain was upset about us leaving a buoy where it could damage his engine, so he removed it to protect other boaters. We gave him a brief and polite lesson on how fly fishermen unclip their anchors to chase fish. He just harrumphed and idled his green boat with a Yamaha 150 4-stroke away. What ever happened to respecting the property of others? 

That is just their excuse cause they got caught. Never caught a thief that didn't attempt to explain why they did what they did. Jotting down that hull # and/or sharing description and what happened with Lee S.O. deputies (239) 477-1000 that are based on the island in Boca Grande would be very helpful to them as well as they have had an uptick in marine related thefts on and around the island from what I have read. 

29 minutes ago, triplec said:

That is just their excuse cause they got caught. Never caught a thief that didn't attempt to explain why they did what they did. Jotting down that hull # and/or sharing description and what happened with Lee S.O. deputies (239) 477-1000 that are based on the island in Boca Grande would be very helpful to them as well as they have had an uptick in marine related thefts on and around the island from what I have read. 

I should have done that, dang it. At the time I just wanted my stuff and a clean exit. I generally do not react well when people steal from me and am thankful both parties separated unscathed. Well, his ego is probably a bit bruised. Sure hope so. 

I have seen that same boat (or at least a match of that description) trolling up and down the canals on LGI late at night - not fishing.  I'll usually stand in the dark and watch them.  We bought motion lights to deter them a little and put a motion alarm on the boat.

Guys someone with first hand knowledge who has seen this boat or a similar one needs to please make a call to either the Lee Sheriff's Office or Charlotte SO depending on where these canals are. If not but to make them aware of it. I assure you anything you have will be helpful to their mission.

This is a newer-style boat (not sure about the proper name, but the lines flow down near the transom) with a newer Yamaha F150. Captain is 50s overweight and balding, from above the Mason Dixon line, according to his accent. Two early-20s kids, short hair, tattoos. Does not sound like the same crew to me, Fin. 

Guys,

Hate to say it, it was an item left, in  open waters.....I understand the logic of not picking it up, but the reality is, it's something that is not guarded or identified.  I know big fish can take you more than a mile or so away or even a few hundred yards and you are well away from the bouy to show claim...

I would definitely identify the bouy with a simple large tag, that states ,property of xxxxxx, xyz boat, chasing a fish...be back soon.

It's just part of the deal - things in the water....are free game to others....

DC

I could not find any regulations for permitting a mooring in Fla. There are some regulations for specific areas under local jurisdiction but for a transient mooring there is no clear rules. Federal regs deal with channels and navigation but if it is properly labeled it should hold as legal. Any maritime lawyers here care to shed a good legal opinion.

Charleston is filled with private moorings and the city has had to go through a lot of work to get the Ashley River channel moved so it can expand the city marina. This has involved forcing people to move long standing moorings.

Had my setup stolen in tavernier on Memorial Day weekend. Hooked up,came back twenty minutes later and no buoy,rope or chain. Was kinda pissed but at least I got two fish to the boat so kinda balanced the feelings out. Worst thing was I had stainless chain that wasn't cheap,now I just use galvanized. 

Archived