2300 hps thru hull transducer feedback

drivenmdc

I am considering getting rid of my shoot thru the hull transducer and replacing it with a thru hull. My current transducer was installed by the factory but it has never worked good consistently. It won't read in under 5 ft and I have to reseal it often. The longest I have gotten it to stay sealed was 9 months. I replaced the gaskets and used grease to seal it to try and keep the fluid from leaking out the top. l even took it back to the factory and put a new transducer in. Anyone who is familiar with the location of these housing knows what a pain they are to get to. I spoke with a guy who has a 2300 this weekend and the dealer installed his thru hull.  He said his reads in as low as 2 ft and he never has problems with it.  Needless to say mine quit working again this weekend and I am tired of dealing with it.  Just wondering for those of you that have them what you think? Also curious as to if there is a certain reason why the factory doesn't do them this way? Any feedback would be appreciated! 

I have a 2300 and installed my own thru-hull transducer. It's installed forward of the step, thru the whole in the gas tank. Reads in as little as 2 ft. of water. My understanding is that the factory will install any transducer you want. Did you ask for a shoot-thru or a thru-hull?

16 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

I have a 2300 and installed my own thru-hull transducer. It's installed forward of the step, thru the whole in the gas tank. Reads in as little as 2 ft. of water. My understanding is that the factory will install any transducer you want. Did you ask for a shoot-thru or a thru-hull?

I'm the second owner of my boat. It was only 9 months old when I bought it. . It's a 2014 and I don't think pathfinder was offering thru hull transducers at that time. I'm definitely not happy with the airmar p79 shoot thru the hull. 

drivenmdc, we are actually discussing this in the wrong forum, should be under regular Pathfinder discussions. Maybe the Mods will move our discussion. Anyway, I built two wrenches. One to hold the transducer. The transducer has two flat sides in the threaded stem to accept a wrench, and another tool to spin the nut. I'd be happy to ship them to you, but if you are not using the identical transducer, the wrenches might not work. I'll try to attach pics. Any good mechanic can build the tools.

The tool on the left holds the transducer and the tool on the right tightens the nut. It's a long reach from the top of the tank to the hull. The tools are about 24" long. Doesn't have to be overly tight because the 5200 does most of the holding. The transducer is an Airmar B-60, 12 degree tilt.

DSC05750_zpse32575c7.jpg

DSC05745_zps9c3b7959.jpg

DSC05746_zpscb85d795.jpg

DSC05743_zps869e1544.jpg

7 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

drivenmdc, we are actually discussing this in the wrong forum, should be under regular Pathfinder discussions. Maybe the Mods will move our discussion. Anyway, I built two wrenches. One to hold the transducer. The transducer has two flat sides in the threaded stem to accept a wrench, and another tool to spin the nut. I'd be happy to ship them to you, but if you are not using the identical transducer, the wrenches might not work. I'll try to attach pics. Any good mechanic can build the tools.

The tool on the left holds the transducer and the tool on the right tightens the nut. It's a long reach from the top of the tank to the hull. The tools are about 24" long. Doesn't have to be overly tight because the 5200 does most of the holding. The transducer is an Airmar B-60, 12 degree tilt.

DSC05750_zpse32575c7.jpg

DSC05745_zps9c3b7959.jpg

DSC05746_zpscb85d795.jpg

DSC05743_zps869e1544.jpg

I really appreciate you offering to send me your tools you made, but I would in up sinking my boat if I attempted to put it in. Not really but I'd rather the dealer do it than me. Does your transducer get in the way of your trailer when your loading? What unit do you have?  I'm not sure exactly which transducer I would need. I've got two garmin's 840xs and 741xs gps maps. I really wish someone on the inside would move this thread to the Pathfinder discussing .  

The transducer does not interfere with loading or the trailer. The transducer only hangs down about 1/8" and is almost in the middle of the hull. About 4" off the keel. The bunks for supporting the boat are well to the outside of the transducer. The transducer is an Airmar B-60 with a 12 degree tilt. Airmar sells transducers for most all bottom machines.

DSC05752_zps9c4f3b9f.jpg

I have the P79 and do not have any issues.  Have you checked the amount of fluid in there?  Make sure they use the antifreeze not mineral oil.  Also, make sure they have the gasket between the transducer and base.  My dealer installed the transducer for me and didn't put the antifreeze and somehow lost the gasket.  It would work fine until the fluid was low.  I replaced the gasket and fluid and going on about 2 years without a problem.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 0:33 PM, drivenmdc said:

SCFD did you have the P79 Airmar shoot thru hull transducer before you put in the B60? Reason I ask is because the cup for the P79 will have to be cut out so the B60 can be put in my boat.

No, I ordered the boat without any transducer. Shouldn't be a problem cutting the cup out.

Archived