2003 2200V Repower Question

RockDaddy

I bought my Pathfinder in 2003 and it has served me well.  At the time, Pathfinder's did not come pre rigged with Yami's, so mine has a Suzuki HP140 4 stroke.  The engine has been great, sipping gas and very reliable.  The boat runs 41 mph WOT.  It seems to cruise best around 32 mph. I haven't had engine problems, but after 14 seasons I think it may be time to replace the engine.  I would appreciate any suggestions that you have for what to re-power her with.  A couple of things to mention:

1) I am looking at a 20 inch 150 -200 HP four stroke - Yamaha, Suzuki or Mercury.  Specific engines include:

Suzuki DF150 or DF175

Yamaha F150, F150 SHO or F200

Mercury 150 four stroke

2)  The dealer I bought the boat from is 3 hours away and no longer a Pathfinder dealer. He's a good guy and sells Yamahas and Suzukis.  I don't have any great dealers near me. If I did, that would drive my decision.

3) I plan on replacing all of the controls.  I figure after 14 years, that would be a good idea.

4) This boat is much lighter than the current 2200 TRS - 1,350 pounds.  The current engine weighs 410 lbs.  I use the live well, but don't have a release tank.

5) I use the boat fishing inshore on the NC coast.

6) the boat has a few stress cracks, but not many.

The Yami F150 is the easy answer.  Since the Suzuki has performed so well, I hate not to be loyal.  I understand the Mercury is very easy to service yourself, which given the poor dealers in the area, has some appeal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Personally I'd stay away from the mercs. Where I fish commercial fishing is a way of life and when riding past the 100s of boat slips you see 90% yamahas hanging off the back of these commercial fishermen's boats. So if it's good enough for the guys who rely on it to make a living it's good enough for me. Suzuki is a reputable name. I've got got a few friends who swear by them. I've had mercury, yamaha, and johnson/evinrude engines. I've had 2 mercurys bite the bullet. The yamaha is still going strong, and I can't seem to kill the omc johnson/evinrude but she likes gas. I'd look at the etecs as well. One thing to also consider is resale value. It's alot harder to sell a saltwater boat with a merc on the back. Just my opinion and I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck

i have a 2002 22v that came with a 200 hpdi and i repowered last year with a inline yamaha f200. hole shot isn't as good as the 2 stroke, but after 3000 rpm, they're about the same. fuel economy is better with the 4 stroke. over all i'm happy with the new engine. i did have a throttle body go bad last month, but warranty covered it and i'm back in business.

did not say how many hrs on the engine. really does not matter as long as you have not hand any problems and she is still running strong which brings up the next question. why replace it only due to its age. I have had 20 yrs. old sportfish's  with orig. engines still running strong when sold. as they say, "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

if your intent on doing so I would look at the yammies or stick with a suzk, understand they are great engines. sea tow has switched to them from my understanding. good luck, fin :)

I'm starting to see more Suzuki's on commercial crabbing boats here, forever they have used Yamaha's...I have heard that Suzuki now offers a 6 year warranty , even on commercial usage if properly maintained.

I can't say anything bad about Yamaha, I had 1650 hours on my 2001 2400v with 200hp HPDI when I sold it, and had over 800 hours on the F250 when I sold it. My F150 on my 2009 2200xl runs fine and have had no issues. You change the filters, engine oil, foot oil and water pumps when needed and they will go forever. 

Archived