Towing a 2600 TRS

John U

Is anyone out there towing the 26 TRS or HPS with a 1/2 ton pickup? I am thinking of upgrading and I have Chevy Silverado with 5.3 and just wanted some feedback.

It tows my 22 TRS like a breeze but adding a t-top and weight, length could make a difference. I make a couple trips to the coast per year which are 3 hrs each way.

Thanks for your input!

If your 1/2 ton Chevy 5.3 has a tow package with transmission cooler you should be fine.....if not, install a trans cooler and monitor trans fluid temp. That 5.3 probably has the 4 speed auto trans, use the towing mode and it will keep the rpms consistent as compared to trying to tow at highway speeds with cruise control.

I towed a 24 Albemarle up and down I95 for 10 years with a 1985 1/2 ton short bed Chevy.  I did add a transmission cooler.  It weighed 7000 lbs, with a hard top and fuel, etc.  I never had a problem, other than stopping.  Stopping is always more critical than pulling!!!! 

Just trying to help out, my 24TRS is listed as 400 pounds less and 5 gallons less gas(30 pounds).  I have no issue stopping or starting with my Tundra 5.7 rated to about 10,000#.  I have a Ttop and keep my gas tank full most of the time.  I load up with full gear and 50# of ice on each trip, TM, 10-15 rods, 4 batteries, you get the idea.  Good luck!

12 hours ago, John U said:

Thanks, mine is 9,000 lbs. Perhaps the better question has anyone towed one? 

Prob have a hard time finding anyone with that same truck and boat, but my buddy has same truck as mine and pulls his contender 25 w twins all over and says it does fine except for mileage. 

I have a 2600 HPS w/300 on it, t-top etc.  I didn't have any real issues towing with a 1/2 ton Ford w/long bed, 4 door crew and Eco-Boost engine and tow package, 4 x 2.  I also towed it with a Dodge 1500 short bed crew, 4 door and 5.7 HEMI w/tow package 4 x 2.  The long bed Ford did better than the short bed Dodge from a stability stand point, however, the Eco-Boost engine worked real hard, (I should have gotten the V-8)...the 5.7 HEMI had plenty of power but had an 8-speed transmission and shifted all the time and the short bed was not a good choice.  I tow the boat 3-4 K per year so towing to me is a big deal.  (If you have ever been on I-10 from Houston to Slidell, LA, you understand).  The interstates in FL are a lot smooter so you don't get beat up....generally speaking.  Over here, you get beat up all the time.......

The problem I had with the 1/2 ton trucks was not stopping, (the trailer has hydraulic brakes which work great), the problem for me was feeling in control of the vehicle through a turn as I always felt the boat trying to push me out of the turn, if that makes sense.  Slowing down or bouncing over bumps in the road forced me to stay focused on the mission a little to much.  

Also, when the trailer is set on the hitch of the 1/2 tons, both trucks sank about 5", give or take.  I don't know what the tongue weight is on a 2600 but I would think it's a least 500 lbs., so the 1/2 ton trucks sat down quite a bit.  With a load in the bed of the truck, its even worse.  The trailer jack on the 2600 is fixed so it will not rotate vertically; I hit it several times on pavement while pulling into parking lots, ramps, etc.   No real damage ever but something to think about when going into a gas station or a parking lot.  Adjustable Air shocks would have fixed this I would think.

Anyway, I'm now towing it with a Dodge 2500, 6.4 HEMI, 4 door crew cab and long bed 4 x 4.  The difference is night and day.  My 2500 weighs more than the boat and trailer so now I have a truck that tows the boat....the boat doesn't push the truck and when I set the trailer on the hitch, the truck sinks maybe 1".

All that being said, you can tow the 2600 with a 1/2 ton truck without any issues, I'm probably just too particular and anal.....   

Good Luck!

Like Dawgfan I started with F150 5.0 CC shortbed.  I towed my 22 TE, with and without t-top, locally with zero problems.  Stopped and started easily.  BUT, when I'd travel from my area to either LA or Jax it was the longest, mind wrenching 5 hours.  I could feel every bump, bounce... you name it.  It really wore me out.  In '13 in bought a 2500HD diesel.  Complete night and day.  No longer did I hate driving through Slidell or New Orleans at rush hour.  Heck I used to plan the trip around it.  Now not so much.  Is 2500HD overkill?  Yeah probably.  But I'm not a fan of getting slung around the interstate at 70mph.  I pull a 23 HPS now with key west style-second station top.  It's like it isn't there.  Looking forward to pulling it to LA in October.

Archived