Uflex hydraulic steering to 2-stroke Yamaha 90

Bud_man

Hi All,

I just installed the Uflex GoTech hydraulic steering kit before passing my old 16 Hewes to my uncle, but I don't have enough clearance to trim the motor all the way up.  

I spoke with the folks at Uflex and they said to flip the motor bracket and install it to the aft hole (versus the forward like I did).  But after studying the orientation, I'm not so sure this is going to work because it doesn't seem there will be enough room to mount the ram arm bracket to the bottom of the flipped engine bracket, and if I connect to the top of the flipped engine bracket it seems the ram arm will bind on the curved engine bracket when the motor is turned.

Has anyone connected this system to a 2 stroke 90 Yamaha?  How did you do it?

Many thanks,

Bud

IMG_5391.JPG

IMG_5392.JPG

Is it possible to just raise the motor one hole? My boats cavitation plate is at least an inch higher than flush, and it runs better.

If not possible to raise the motor, sounds like you should try their suggestion about flipping brackets around and see if it works.

Interesting steering system, have never seen one of those. PS - that's a great motor!

Looking at the pics, if you flip the motor bracket over, you will gain about 2". That might be enough clearance and you can attach the hydraulic ram back to the same hole on the bracket. Two inches of clearance in the front might mean several more inches the motor can be raised. But, you have to be sure the hydraulics will clear the wiring harness coming out the front of the motor.

Sounds good!  Thanks for the feedback guys.  There is an option to switch the ram bracket to the other side if there is a problem with the wire harness.  But, I'll have to redo the hydraulic lines - ugh.  

I'll give the engine bracket flip a try the next time I get over to my uncle's house.

Thanks,

Bud

Archived