Limt Switch

Lowcountry Joe

Yes!!~ I had to install a limit switch on my old boat/motor for the same reason. That was several years ago, so they might have changed. Mine was a small switch (about 1 1/2" long and 1/4" around) and attached to the motor near the trim relays. The switch was filled with Mercury, similar to the old A/C thermostats. The Mercury rolls back and forth inside the switch as the motor is tilted up or down. You just adjust the angle so the mercury rolls away from the contact wire and the motor stops trimming up.  

A Mercury switch does not sound very ideal for when you are rocking and rolling on the water. 

A simple cam roller switch could be used on the steering assembly area or the tilt cylinder area with a homemade bracket.

https://www.zoro.com/honeywell-micro-switch-global-limit-switch-glda01a1b/i/G4323085/?gclid=CLKi98-dvM4CFVdbhgodya0Jwg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Seems like someone with some electronic knowledge could figure out how to monitor the sensor for the trim gauge and have a user definable limit to cut it off at. Could get really fancy and also use the jackplate height sensor to have different limits depending on the jackplate position.

The mercury switch orients front to back, so any rocking and rolling does not effect the switch. The dealership installed mine and it worked flawless for 14 years. It's all stainless, made for a marine environment. Found this image. Disregard the motor lock piece. The little switch comes with a mounting bracket and one wire. The mounting bracket serves as a ground (I suppose) and to adjust the switch so it brakes contact and stops the motor. The wire is tapped into the positive wire going to the trim motor.

Image result for mercury quicksilver limit switch 87-814407A3

Yea I don't see why the mercury switch wouldn't work. I doubt you would even need to tilt the motor all the way up while on the water in the first place. I've never needed one cause the first thing I tell someone that would be tilting my motor is to not do it unless the jack plate is at least on 1.

Archived