Best prop pitch for 2200 TRS

I have a 2200 TRS model with 150 yammy.  One disappointment is speed is slower than the performance bulletins showed.  I chose the SDS 18 inch pitch prop, the same as the bulletins.  Only turning 5500 and 44 MPH with just one person.   Should  I have picked the 17 inch pitch?  Any of you have comments or data that would help?

Take a close look at your numbers. The bulletin I see for a F150 has a Reliance SDS 13-3/4 x 19 on it. On delivery my boat, with F150, had a Reliance SDS 14-1/4 x 18 on it and it ran very close to the bulletin. My boat with fishing gear, T-TOP, 3 batteries, TM, PP, jack plate, one person and 3/4 fuel  would run 47 WOT at 5800. (I did see it flash 48 a couple times) This spring I switched  to an OFX4-17 ported and am at 45 WOT with 5600 RM's. It does take a lot of tweaking of trim and a touch of tabs to get those last couple of MPH's out of it. Welcome to prop hocus pocus.

My 2200xl with 2009 F150 ( no jackplate) with a full load of fuel / water/ coolers/ etc running the Yamaha SS 3 blade - 14"x 19" would run 46 mph @ 5800 rpm. I tried several different props, 3 blades, 4 blades, Power Tech's / Yamaha's...I settled on the Power Tech OFX4 - 16" because I like the way it lifts the stern at mid range cruising, it handles really nice with the 4 blade. I worked with Marcus at Power Tech and after several different set ups, the OFX4-16" was the best fit for my application. Now with that being said: the 4 blade prop does jump out of the hole better than the 3 blade, however top end you loose some speed...currently WOT with 4 blade she runs 44 mph @ 5900. I run WOT so very little that the loss of a couple mph did'nt matter. I've never actually emptied the boat of rods/reels, coolers, water, fuel, fat butts, etc.and ran WOT...because all of the mentioned cargo is always in the boat if its in the water. Also: she has 5 batteries in the console and a charger / MK I Pilot 112 on bow and a PP on rear. It's a fishing boat

Thanks for the replies!! True, I have trolling motor, 3 batteries, ice, drinks, gas, tackle which is more than the second person, and I don't twiddle the tabs at all to peak the R's.  Just seems the pitch is holding the R's lower than optimum for engine.

And I only max out for short runs because supposed to help the engine.  Plan to cruise at 30-35 . . . .

You should contact Marcus at PowerTech and try the OFX4 blade series.... If speed is not the issue, my 2200 handles much differently with the 4 blade. That F150 will turn 5900 when propped correctly. I'm like you, in that, I do not play with the trim to achieve the ultimate in rpms , my normal range is 3400 r's to 3800 r's when cruising. If you buy a PowerTech and are not happy, they will allow you to trade it back in within 30 days and get another prop for like $50.00. Don't guess at the size, let them set it up for you. Marcus did my 2400v with F250 with a OFX4 - 21 and it ran great. That's why I called him again after getting the 2200 with F150.

bernieNC, you are correct....playing was not a good choice of words on the trim. After running a 2400 with F250 for 6 years and going to the 2200 with F150....that 14 to 15 mph slower takes some getting used to, I just finally got her running 5900 rpm with the 4 blade and really like the way she cruises with the 4 blade, and tip top speed was not a concern. I do use trim and the tabs quite frequently. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering if I should do something with my prop.  I started with a 3 blade Reliance 13 3/4 X 19, which ran to about 46 - 47 mph at 5500 rpms trimmed out.  After adding a jackplate, power pole, heavy Ulterra on the bow, 4 batts, etc, I switched to a Power Tech because the 3 blade was catching too much air with the jp.  With the PT OFX4, 17 pitch, ported 3/8, I can turn only to 5400 rpms and 41 - 42  mph with the engine trimmed out, and jp at the lowest position.

I am concerned with the low top rpm for good engine life.    

JEM, looks like our boats are identical. Except I do not have jack plate. I have tried many props and although the Yamaha 3 blade stainless in 19" was faster mph, it did not perform low end very well. It would turn 5800 @ 46 mph with her loaded, however with the PT 0FX4 in 16" , she gets up much quicker, handles really good and turns 5900 but only 44 mph. I also tried a PT 3 blade in 19" and it did not do very well. 

Archived