cleaning rods and reels

Island Style

Curious what you guys are doing to keep your gear in tip top shape. I do a light rinse and then wipe down with soap and water. Leave them out to dry then mist with reel magic. Just curious as I have run out of reel magic and can't find any at my local tackle stores so checking to see if there might be a better product out there. thanks JD

My offshore tackle:. They go in shower..hot water, a bit of soap & rinse.  The steam and light flow of shower seems to keep salt off.  Not every time, but often I'm spraying/wiping with QMaxx

inshore stuff...IF I wash the boat, they get rinsed :). The fly stuff I rinse better & often pull the line thru cleaner pad.  

13 hours ago, fishtaco said:

Fill a bucket full of water and let the reels soak while I wash the boat.  Rods are sprayed down while rinsing the boat the air dry.  I've got Shimano reels/rods that are older than my middle school kids!

Wow!  This is the first time I have ever heard of anybody soaking their reels in a bucket of water after each trip.   Must work, based upon your experience.   I assume you are talking about inshore reels......baitcasting  and spinning.  Veeerrry interesting!!!  I just don't know if I could get brave enough to soak my Curado's and Stradics, unless it already had already been dunked in the salt. 

The Shimano sevice center I send my reels to recommended rensing the reels off and then spraying them with Salt Away.

I have used Shimano Stradic & Sustain exclusively for my inshore stuff and never done more than a light spray with the hose and shake them off. I use mine a lot, probably more than most and I have never used any soap or sprays on them. Once a year I tear them apart and service them (or when needed). I have never had an issue with corrosion with the exception of the roller bearings on the bail which get replaced about once per year or when needed.

Josh B.

11 hours ago, JEM said:

Wow!  This is the first time I have ever heard of anybody soaking their reels in a bucket of water after each trip.   Must work, based upon your experience.   I assume you are talking about inshore reels......baitcasting  and spinning.  Veeerrry interesting!!!  I just don't know if I could get brave enough to soak my Curado's and Stradics, unless it already had already been dunked in the salt. 

The Shimano sevice center I send my reels to recommended rensing the reels off and then spraying them with Salt Away.

Yes, Calcuttas and Stradics.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 6:56 PM, Big Dave said:

I tighten the drags, light spray rinse of fresh water on the reels and rods.  Then I dry them off, spray Lemon Pledge on a rag and wipe down the reels and rods.  Loosen the drags and then put them away for the next trip.  

Exactly, this I my protocol also. It's worked for years and my stuff looks new.

Archived