Looking into buying a Cobia 21 bay. Have questions/concerns

troutman561

I am copying and pasting my post from the Cobia sub-forum here as there seems to be little to no traffic there. If this is not allowed please let me know...

So my cousin has a 21 Bay he bought new in 2013. He used it a lot for a year and then got a bigger boat, it was never abused, and was used from cruising the coast in calm waters with his kids. It has sat for some time until I recently picked it up, cleaned it up, and now am using(borrowing) it. He wants me to buy the boat for a great price. I really like the boat but I have some concerns. The deck itself has stress cracks along the top of every part of the stringer from in front of the front cooler and back along the stbd and port floor. The only part immune from this cracking is in front of, under, and behind the leaning post. The cracks are not huge but if you walk barefoot you can feel a little give between the stringers and you can feel the tops of the stringers themselves. I called the factory and they said this will be covered under warranty which is great, but they also said the floor is supposed to have give? My dad and now myself have pretty much owned boats constantly for the last 21 years. I have never been on a boat with a healthy, non-wood deck that gave. Is this a known problem with the deck of the 21? I know it is not impeding the function of the deck or the boat, and I know the current problem will be covered, but if it returns, I am concerned about future resale and the fact I doubt they'd cover it a second time. Thoughts? This is a make or break situation for me and buying this boat.

Maybe have your cousin get it fixed since he is the original owner and then if your happy with the repairs go from there. I know nothing about Cobias but I'd never buy a boat, for any price with a soft deck, let alone a deck that you can tell where the stringers are with your feet unless the price is low enough for you to have it repaired. 

It seems like you'd be buying into quite the headache and how long are you going to be without the boat while waiting for repairs after you hand your cousin a pile of cash. Stress cracks are relatively easy, cosmetic repairs. Soft decks not so much as m sure you know. 

Recently I was close to buying a pathfinder that had stringer repairs done by factory. I called and spoke with them about what was done. I was told they had never had one come back from this repair and they do cover their repairs even if I bought it, however I'd go to end of line (I thought that was kinda odd).   In the end I just couldn't get past it at least for the price I was at.  

I would have HIM get repairs done prior to me buying or atleast ensure you would be able to have them covered under warranty.  Why has he let it get so bad before persuing getting it fixed? 

Archived