2400 TRS Anchor Locker

Bruce J

While I love my new 2400 TRS to death, I can have one small complaint, right?

I very rarely use the anchor, but when I do the anchor locker hatch lid often closes while I'm trying to pay the line out or haul it back in.  It doesn't open very wide to begin with, and the light spring doesn't do a great job of keeping it open. First World Problem, I know, but has anyone else sorted out an easy fix to this?  I'll probably play around with it a bit more this weekend to see what might work.

I think you're right that just removing the spring is the ticket. With the spring in place the hatch opens to a vertical position, so there's almost no pressure on the spring. Any little pressure on the hatch like even a slight breeze will just fold up the little spring. I can't see any reason not to just remove it and let the hatch rest fully open on the deck and overhanging the gunwale. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, same problem with the spring on my new 2200TRS anchor hatch.  I spoke with Ray at MBC, he seemed surprised to hear of this problem??  Had no good solution, I asked him to send me an additional spring which he did.  Have not had a chance to install the second spring yet.  The original works well but just intermittently.

Please report your problem directly to Ray at MBC so he can pass the info on the the design team who will hopefully come up with a better solution for future boats and perhaps a retrofit for us.

It's a puzzler how this ever got past the design team in the first place since the hatch simply cannot stay open. I really don't think even a heavier spring would help much. It really needs a better hinge that just lets the hatch fully open to lie flat on the deck so it's completely out of the way when you're dealing with the anchor. 

• 2 weeks later...

A friction hinge is something like you can get on toilet seats nowadays!  You can just flip the seat down, then it slowly lowers without banging the toilet.  I think if you look at Gemlux, they are the king of friction hinges.   I think some boat builders are using them instead of gas shocks for their hatch lids. 

3 hours ago, Bruce J said:

Hope they make some of the right size to replace the factory originals

You would think so since GEM Products makes the original hinge that's on there now?!  The size is right but the holes do NOT line up exactly.  The reason, Jenny in their sales department, tells me is that the barrel or the pin, the part that has the friction in it, is larger than a hinge barrel without friction.

Since the holes are just a little off, the old holes would have to be filled, left to dry, then new holes drilled, etc., etc.  I got a headache by the time she was done explaining it and immediately called my fiberglass guy and made an appointment to bring the boat in and have HIM do this minor task.  The hinges are about the same size, 3.1 inch long, so they should fit in the molded in depression.  The friction hinge will hold the hatch up at any angle without it moving.  Ask me again how well this works once they are installed.

The hinge part number is FH-1209-FM and they cost $24.59 each.  You can reach Jenny at 800-874-4506 or order online at http://www.gemlux.com

I'll post pictures and a report of how they work once they have been installed.

Thanks much, Ron, that's great info.  I guess hoping for an easy replacement was just asking too much!  I look forward to hearing how yours works out.  I'm also surprised others haven't found this to be a problem.  It's probably because with PowerPoles and dynamic positioning trolling motors, we all hardly touch our anchors anymore.  I had my boat a few months at least before I discovered the problem.

22 minutes ago, Bruce J said:

Thanks much, Ron, that's great info.  I guess hoping for an easy replacement was just asking too much!  I look forward to hearing how yours works out.  I'm also surprised others haven't found this to be a problem.  It's probably because with PowerPoles and dynamic positioning trolling motors, we all hardly touch our anchors anymore.  I had my boat a few months at least before I discovered the problem.

Anchor?  What's that?

22 hours ago, JEM said:

Anchor?  What's that?

anchor.jpg

It's that metal thingy up forward attached to 200 feet of nylon 3-strand and some chain that you gently lay overboard when for some inexplicable reason the power on the boat goes down rendering your motor, power pole and trolling motor inoperable while the wind is blowing about 25 knots directly toward a rocky seawall about 400 yards away where 4-6 foot waves are crashing.

1 hour ago, fishmanjj said:

Ron, has that rope ever been in the sea water ??  That's way to clean and neat to have been used.  JJ

I Zaino it.

Actually, what generally causes nylon line to look old is mildew.  You get mildew when the line comes out of FRESH water and is piled up damp with no air circulation.  Salt doesn't encourage mildew and I believe hanging the anchor line as in the photo, lets it air dry before mildew can form.  I sold the old boat, the 2000 V in May and gave the new owners the anchors and old line.  So, this line was purchased in May but has seen lots of use.  I carry a 5 lb. Danforth with 50 feet of line and no chain to use as a lunch hook (only when we remain on the boat).  I use that like most folks use a power pole, so this main anchor and rode gets less use.  

3 hours ago, Ron in Atlanta said:

anchor.jpg

It's that metal thingy up forward attached to 200 feet of nylon 3-strand and some chain that you gently lay overboard when for some inexplicable reason the power on the boat goes down rendering your motor, power pole and trolling motor inoperable while the wind is blowing about 25 knots directly toward a rocky seawall about 400 yards away where 4-6 foot waves are crashing.

Ron, I hope that never happens to me.  That sure looks and sounds like a lot of work........an anchor.......!     I have an strong aversion to work!  And it's getting worse the older I get, and I am pretty old now!  LOL 

Archived