2004 2200 w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

We just purchased this boat and it has a 225 Yamaha SHO on it with a 4 blade prop. It runs around 44 MPH and we were thinking about going to a 3 blade for top end speed and better fuel economy. Does anyone have any experience with this motor? I'm looking for suggestions. I have not ridden in the boat yet as my FIL just bought it. 

Any input is appreciated. 

Regards,

Alan 

I'm going to try and get it out this weekend or next and do some trials. I have it getting washed and waxed today and then some aluminum work for coolers. It appears I don't have much room in front of the console to go up in cooler size without having a toe buster! I will probably get a 70qt igloo marine cooler for the front and whatever size that fits under the leaning post. I just found a windshield replacement too. Boat should look brand new when I'm done with her! 

I will revert back with RPM's and speeds when I get it out. I thought about calling a local company to see what prop they recommend. I will let you know what I hear. 

Your best running prop "all around" will be a power tech OFX3 19" pitch. This is what I ran with heavier loads or more than 2 guys. Once you are familiar with running the boat and know what she likes (trim, jack plate settings) you could run a 21" pitch. The 21 will get you right at 60mph loaded vs the 19 which will be around 56-57. The 19 is much easier to run because you wont need much trimming to get the motor throughout the rpm range. I also like the yamaha pro series but for now I would stick with power tech and you will be happy.  Let me know if you have any specific questions. 

Thank you very much for the insight. I haven't had a bay boat since 2013 when we went to a 35ST Contender but now with two young girls and not enough time, this should get me around the bays. I will post before and after pics once she is cleaned and performance info in case someone can use it in the future. I'm excited about this project. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:26 PM, Slo Poke1 said:

Yes that is very slow for a 225. My 2200V with 150 VMAX gets to 45mph in perfect conditions with a 4 blade PowerTech. Even does 44 with the Bimini up. 

Just got an '02 2200v with 150 VMAX and having trouble with ventilation in turns and trim. No performance data yet, only run once and have it out now getting other stuff done. Interested in any info on your setup; pitch of your powertech 4 blade, performance numbers, any issue with ventilation..? (I am hazmar that asked about jackplate to resolve my probs over on hull truth.) Also, have you spoken to or heard anyone with recommendations for our exact setup? Not finding a ton here that would give me enough confidence to order prop, unless I don't know how to search, which could def be the case...

By the way, I have: '02 2200-V, Yam 150 Vmax OX66, 24v ipilot, 2 batt's in console, 1batt aft with oil tank, no t-top.

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased a 225 SHO for my father to repower his 2200V. I'm at the EXACT same numbers using a 14.5" 19 pitch Revo (i think that's it) prop. Right now I'm hitting 5500-5600RPMs with it trimmed out and the jackplate up a little. I"m getting 45mph doing this. I'm wondering what prop I should try also. Currently using that 4 blade but if a 3 blade fits the bill I'm all for it. 

Welcome aboard!  I am the one who bought the other 225 SHO.  CGRyam on this forum hopefully will see your post and chime in.  He re powered from a F150 to the 225SHO and reported top speeds in the upper 50's and cruise speeds in the 40's.  He tried a bunch of props but settled on the PT OFX3 21 pitch (3 blade).  But he said the same prop with 19 pitch hit the top rpm (6000) with a full load but was naturally a couple of mph slower.  I suspect that is the prop (19 pitch) that I will be shooting for when I get the engine on and start prop testing.  He said the 225 SHO didn't work well with a 4 blade (apparently something to do with the electronic rev limiter).    He sent me some pm's with great info on his prop testing and I will see if I can forward them to you.  Good luck, and I know that you have to be way off the mark at a 45 top speed.

Jeff

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 2003 2200V with 225VMax running a new OFX21 4 blade.  The hole shot is fantastic, works well with the jack plate and top speed is 57MPH.  I did the prop slip calc and i'm getting 3% slip with the new prop.  It's like using mud tires on the water if you get the analogy.  Very happy with the set up. 

I tried some other 21 pitch 3 blades and never was really happy with the hole shot.  I hit the gas with the 4 blade and I'm gone!

Thought I'd share...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 5/17/2017 at 7:42 AM, Mik said:

I have a 2003 2200V with 225VMax running a new OFX21 4 blade.  The hole shot is fantastic, works well with the jack plate and top speed is 57MPH.  I did the prop slip calc and i'm getting 3% slip with the new prop.  It's like using mud tires on the water if you get the analogy.  Very happy with the set up. 

I tried some other 21 pitch 3 blades and never was really happy with the hole shot.  I hit the gas with the 4 blade and I'm gone!

Thought I'd share...

Are you still around? Wanted to ask what RPMs you’re getting?