1972 Bonefisher

yjwrangler95

Reminds me of my old Mako when I put the chainsaw to the stern. You're doing great, just take your time and you'll have a lot of pride in the finished job!! I highly recommend using West System epoxy, easy to mix and measure accurately and without the smell of ester resin. Are you going to awlgrip the boat when you are done? DIY or have it done? I did my mako in FLY and it turned out great. I'm not an expert, but I'm happy to share my past experiences.

you've picked a great boat to restore. I'm sure that boat has seen some great fishing over the years.....fishing the flats off Islamorada in the 70's!!

Try to put the weight in the bow...i.e. Fuel/batteries, those boats tend to be stern heavy. Are you putting the transom livewells on?

Thanks for all the encouraging words. I picked up gl*** and wood on friday during lunch and was going to fit the transom this weekened. I got sidetracked with another project and didn't get to work on it. I plan on working on it this week and trying to get the transom ground down and fit the new one in. It is fun to work in this old girl, it makes me feel good to bring somthing old back to new again. I plan on keeping the 25 gallon tank in the front in the factory location. I plan on powering with a 2 stroke yami 90 to save some weight. It is setup for trolling motor bats are in the front and i won't have the external oil tank so taht will save weight. I want to rig this boat simple, 90, poling platform, trolling motor, minimal gages, and one bait well in the rear. I usually fish with a cooler so a live well isn't a big priority to me. When i got my boat the transom bait wells were long gone.

I did get sidetracked this weekend.......I bought another boat. It was one of those barn finds, it is a 1990 17 Mako with a 130 yami, ready to fish. Got it from a friend of a friend for a song. So I've got a boat to play on in teh mean time while working on the Hewes. I'll keep everyone posted with my progress. The stringers don't look as bad as I thought they were originally. Still going to get replaced but not as bad.

As far as paint, I was thinking of using a 1 part urathane, going all off white on the hull, just to keep it simple and tinting the non skid just a bit on teh topside. I was planning on doing it myself. I've also comtemplated using Imron as well. If anyone has any recomendations please let me know.

sorry about the long post. been a busy weekend.

hey...is the 17 mako you bought an 'angler' series? the one we had was a 1972 17' mako angler i think they called it...it had a casting platform deck on the back with teak hatches.....had an 80 'rude on the back...could run it all day on pennies...

that was a great boat....i really miss it a lot....probably one of the best early 'bay' boats that you could take offshore sometimes, if you liked....we put a lot of fish in that boat!! :)

i have some photos of it somewhere...i'll try to dig them up!

how about some photos of it? are you gonna do a resto on it as well?

Yes,

It is a Mako 171 Angler I believe with a poling platform on it. The teak has either been removed or it didn't have any, the hatches are starboard. I like it much better, it is easier to maintain. It has a Yami 130 on it that runs great. It needs a lower unit but I fixed that problem last night with a roadtrip. The boat is in great shape and ready to fish. I'm going to put some tunes in it this week and take her on a mainden voyage this weekend. The Hewes will be happy as well. I picked up a beautiful clean 1995 C115 lat night for it. I feel like I got a good deal on it. We did a compression test on it while it was cold and ran it. The thing fired right up and ran great. I'm going to rob the lower unit off of it and use it on teh 130 until I get the Hewes done and then find another lower unit.

My wife was laughing, we just got our building built and certified and it is already filling up....

If you have xome pics of the Mako shoot them over.

I'll post some of mine.

You can see the new wood for the Hewes transom in the background. I really want to get it done for the summer.......

1205328710-Boat_pics_024.jpg.48d1e5a50cb

1205328705-Boat_pics_020.jpg.3a3d89ea054

1205328700-Boat_pics_018.jpg.7b45add3227

1205328695-Boat_pics_017.jpg.5ff28481e3b

that may well be the angler, i was always confused on that anyway, but ours was the same boat, but a different cap on the back. it had a hewes style platform back there, even had a cushion to sit on like a hewes....

that is a great little boat you have and very, very fishable. you will be surprised how shallow it will run (depending on if you have any waterlog) and how well it will take chop...

i will try my best to find some photos of our old one....it is still being used regularly today! lotsa good memories of that one, and the 20v wellcraft....

check out

cl***ic mako

here is an explanation of the angler vs standard....you have a standard, the one we had was the angler version...

mako brochure

Nice,

I like the 3 together that is a great picture. I noticed you are runninga C115, how do you like it. I bought a 1995 last night in extremly good shape. I'll post some pictures hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm going to put it on my Hewes. I was wondering how it does at low speed/idle. Does it load up on you at all? Also do you run it 50:1? Just curious, its been a while since i've had a pre-mix motor, but I heard they will run a long time.

Our little mako is a sweet little boat. You wouldn't beleive teh deal I got on it if I told you. I'm pretty stoked about it. It will be a fun little versitle boat.

I'll post more pictures soon hopefully. Let me know about the motor, if there are any tricks of the trade...

i have absolutely no issues with mine, other than the fact that it runs just a bit rough for a minute or so until it is warmed up.....

purrrrrs like a kitten.....always use stabil and ring-free...

50:1 is what it calls for so that's what i run....i put maybe an ounce or two extra in, just to be safe....

the one we had looked identical to the bottom one in that photo....'cept ours had no rail, and an 85 'rude on the back...as a surprise for dad, i machine turned a piece of stainless then use that to replace the panel where the switches go....

Thats great to hear, like I said it is a clean motor, i've never see one at this age look so good, hope its not to good to be true. I'm going home tonight to swap lower units. Hopefully I'll get some pictures soon. I'm going to try and get some work done on teh Hewes this week and hoepfully this weekend. I wore all my help out building my barn so I might be making a trop fishing this weekend as some pay back and maybe they will help me get my transom in next weekend........its all about working the system.

• 1 month later...

Well I hate to say it but I'm thinking of selling the Hewes. I've got the transom ready to be fit and the stringers have been cut back and ground down. I hate to say it but every time I take the Mako out I like it more. Anyone have any idea on what the Hewes is worth. It is on a Float On Trailer in Great shape with a torsion axle, I've got the whole boat and about half of the gl*** work done. This is a tough decision

• 2 months later...

Archived