Restored 1972 Hewes

Zac Sturm

Thanks. You guys are the authority on Hewes. Yes, and all Google shows me for classic bonefisher are pictures of my boat and the one of Bob Hewes and Bob Stearns on one among several variations and a lot of the 16' BF I was hoping to hear more info on these older models from the guys that know them well. This style platform, is it original or an add on. Seems that they vary..

image.jpeg

Well if you want to keep the 72 all original leave it the way it is. The boat did not have a poling platform, they did not start putting them on until 75/76. The very first poling platforms on Hewes had a bend on them with a flange that bolted onto the transom and having a two pole design unlike the normal 4 mounting poles you typically see today. These kept breaking at the welds and when they needed them repaired they brought them to a gentlemen by the name of Bob Coombs. Bob Coombs incorporated a new design that eliminated the bend and the flange thus eliminating the weak point where they broke. He designed a solid aluminum block that mounted onto the transom and the platform slid into these blocks and the blocks clamped onto the poles keeping the two pole design. This design also allowed for the height of the platform to be raised or lowered to the anglers liking and allowed for the bigger motors to fit under them. My 89 still has this design and it works perfect.

Archived