REBUILD TIME

KEYZ SPEARIT

Hey folks new to site have browsed through for years it is now my time.  I have a 71 Redfisher had a new transom put in last year with new 115 suzuki SS pushes the hell out of the boat.  New issue has surfaced hull now has a leak about 6" long running along chine i have got to believe i have a stringer that let go.  Looking for any suggestions as i am preparing to cut into deck this weekend.  Hoping for any input as problem may be somewhere else to look.  Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picture of the old girl last time on Sandbar before rebuild.  We also fished the Marathon International Bonefish Tourney weekend before we started to tear her apart.  Couple of the bones we caught during tourney.  Cant wait till she is ready for the ocean again but we want her done right this time.

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

• 4 months later...

Have finally got deck all in and glassed couple coats of epoxy pre kote before some perfection then non skid kiwi grip in main deck area.  Pictures soon to come.  Have boat upside down and found 3 hull cracks due to old stringers being trash grinding them out and glassing pictures to come for that.  Fairing any dings and dents with new awl grip citrus green being new color choice.

IMG_0852.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are making slow progress on the old girl.  All new stringers glassed in with 2 layers of 1708.  New deck installed 2 layers of 9 oz mat with west system epoxy.  Boat now flipped over and addressing the cracks in hull thought i had 1 but found 3 one of which was about 5 foot long after grinding it out to good glass.  Other crack all the way through to new stringer bottoms.  That one has 4 layers of 1708 and west system faired out with west and 407 sanding all flat getting ready for awlgrip 545 epoxy primer.58e1652dcfdfc_hewesbot2.JPG.af2c8be4ff8678a3ef4eeedff79be7ce.JPG58e16549878ca_hewesbot4.JPG.fb41604e2e06176e358f06f83cb6e7c7.JPG58e16570383c1_hewesbot3.JPG.479d6abb7de62d0c5dabc3a005e91a55.JPG

It's bold.......and it's different than most......go for it !! 

p.s. I've painted every room in the house four times, each time with a color the wife picks out.....and then she says......it's looks different on the wall than the test sample....so, I would paint the boat the color you want it and let her control the color choices of the walls in the house.

right now deck is kiwi grip gray with white water channels.  I told the wife last night i think i might paint the console to match.  Casting deck and gunnels are currently done in snow camo seadek.  Thinking red with black outline lettering and the stereo is where it is at in this little thing although dont play it when fishing. 4 8" jl  4 6.5" wetsounds 1 12" jl base and 2 600 watt wetsound amps  i can pretty much drown out any music we dont like at the sandbar.  Just worry about using colors that are not considered to classic with this old 1971 redfisher.

IMG_0864 (1).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

well i messed up yesterday finally had some time to paint the skiff and i thought hey lets darken the paint up just a little bit so i bought some jet black awlgrip and of course put in too much so i thought snow white awlgrip will reverse the effect so i now have a useless gallon of what i would say is olive green awlgrip.  When will i learn to leave well enough alone new citrus green gallon ordered and will be painted this weekend.

IMG_0883 (1).JPG

On 4/5/2017 at 7:37 PM, KEYZ SPEARIT said:

All primed with 3 coats of awlgrip 545 sanded with 220/320.  Now for the big question what about the test color awlgrip citrus green.  I love it the wife not so much.

hewes green.JPG

Seriously consider resale...lime green boats don't sell well..

A nice powder coat blue or guide green are the classic colors.

Just an opinion...

dc

• 2 weeks later...

Archived