Fish Stock 2010 - New Smyrna

gwojnow

Some friends and I are moving to fish all summer in South Florida with our 22' PF. We are considering stopping on the way to fish the Red Fish / Trout inshore tournament of the 2010 Fish Stock in New Smyrna Beach over the Memorial Day weekend.

We have absolutely no experience fishing in this part of Florida but do a lot of red and trout fishing here where we live in Savannah, GA. Do ya'll think it's worth entering this tournament and can reds and trout be reached with a 22' Pathfinder (with jack plate)?

Let me know what ya'll think.

I am not the expert on the area but, i have fished there allot over the past seven years. It depends on how much water the Lagoon is holding. The Mosquito Lagoon is very shallow on average and there will be several areas you can't manage in a 22, but I have a 21 MMA and have done pretty good. It should be a great experience regardless of how you do. You don't have to worry about tides and there is plenty of published info on the Lagoon. I'd do it.

thanks oldsalt...

does anyone have any information about the fishing methods and ways to target them this time of year (late MAY)?

Are the reds on the flats and the trout typically along the banks and in slightly deeper water?

We have both a 22' Pathfinder as well as a 16' Hells Bay boat. Which weapon of choice do ya'll recommend?

I have been trying to fish down that way for a while. A ton of fun and allot different than sav. ( I used to live there) I would contact some of the local shops .. they are very helpfull and the area is well charted. The boat selection depends on what area you are going to fish... sounds like you got that well covered..

Call if I can help..

Craig 912-230-0062

We work Fish Stock with CCA and the Kids Fishing Clinic. It's a great tournament and there are family things to do as well. I would personally go with the Hells Bay. It gives you more options in the lagoon. We have a PF20 and just bought a 15HPX for that purpose. If you are serious you definitely need to pre-fish this one. There are a lot of places you can get hung up there. There are a number of forum guys who fish it all of the time as well. I am sure they can get you ppointed in the right direction as well. Good luck with it and look for me at the kids Clinic.

Archived