Question about boat lift (sling or cradle)

Jmlockwood

I currently have my new 2200TRS stored on a relatively new boat lift on a cradle. The only issue is I can see that in the winter I am going to have some issues getting the boat off the lift. The cradle is probably 18 inches high and I could really use that during the winter low tide months. I've read that the sling straps may be the ticket but then I have also read they put some unnecessary stress on the hull. Anyone have any experience with this? I searched and did not see any other info on the forum. 

The stress on the hull and cap of the boat depends on how the straps are set-up. I've had a lift with straps for about 25 years and learned the hard way that straps can pinch a boat to the point of cracking the gel-coat. If the straps are set-up too close together, that's when it pinches the boat and puts stress on the fiberglass and cracks gel-coat. If you can arrange the straps at the top (widen them) so the straps do not put stress on the rub rails, then you'll be ok.

Years ago, before I figured this out, my straps pinched the boat so much that I could not open some compartment doors. And every boat I owned had stress cracks in the gel-coat.

I am in the same boat with a shallow water dock. I just installed a new lift with straps for my 2600 HPS. As SCFD said make sure the lift poles are spaced far enough apart to not pinch the boat while it is on the lift. Also based on my emails with Skip before the installation the boat shouldn't hang for long periods of time.

Interesting as I went round and round on this issue few years ago but based on draft, not potential issues with boat stress.  I have not noticed any issues caused by my sling lift on my 2005 AC Coastal Bay (recently sold).  There have been numerous times I could slip the boat on and off while others with cradles were more tide dependent.  My lift posts (where the slings are) are set at 10 feet wide.  The AC Coastal Bay has an 8'4" beam.  

Thanks for all the information. My lift poles are already fairly wide. Looks like I am going to be getting a set of straps in the very near future. 

Not sure I could get away with a mud-hog. The house is located in an aquatic preserve. Not sure its really prohibited but also wouldn't want to try to explain myself when DEP rolls by....

• 2 years later...
On 10/4/2016 at 5:42 PM, smooth move said:

my 02-2200v has been in straps all it's life. i've got the front strap lined up with the rear of the rod lockers and the rear strap lined up with the leading edge of the  rear deck. no problems.

done 2.jpg

Can I ask, how high out of the water do you typically lift it when you are "leaving" the boat there for days/weeks? 

• 9 months later...

Mod is correct. The straps will droop in the middle when empty. The longer the boat is off the slings, the more they will droop. The length of the slings may also be an issue. They may be longer than necessary. The slings and where they attach to the cables, only need to clear the gunnels by a few inches when driving the boat into the slip.

• 1 year later...
On 2/20/2020 at 6:40 AM, Robert3 said:

don't all strapped lifts use a spreader bar? to distribute the weight and not pinch the sides?

A spreader bar is used when you have davits.  There is one flats boat on my canal that uses a sling with spreader bar, placed forward of the transom.  Of the many times I have gone by it on my boat, it is not an ideal setup.  It is rare to see it level.  The location of davits on the property requires owner to detach dockside of sling to get underway (sling length does not allow clearance of poling platform).  A long rope/boat hook is used to feed sling under boat.

• 1 year later...