1986 SPORTSTER 197 SCV RESTORATION

yachtbuilder

I am about 60% done with the complete restoration. The photo above is a year old. I have so many pics to share with you guys documenting all aspects of the work done....Just finding time to upload them. Every piece of wood that was in the boat was rotted..deck, stringers, transom...in fact, there was a deck on top of the original deck. I completely gutted the entire boat until it was an empty shell. The new stringers and deck are all composite now.

The day I brought her home....paid 300.00 from Chapman school of seamanship. They have boats that people donate that are in different stages of deterioration. They have some nice ones too if you have the money. It seems someone went "carpet crazy". It's amazing what some people will do to their boats.

1274230780-lgpt_027.jpg.3caf83df82339176

The Engine is a mercruiser 470 with a 2 barrel carb, which makes it 170hp. A big 4 banger...mercruiser aluminum block with a ford 460 head on it. This one had coolant in the oil, but started right up. The camshaft drives the water pump for the closed cooling system, which has 2 o-rings to keep water out of the oil pan. well, the o-rings wore a groove in the cam. Instead of spending 700.00+ on a new cam, I spent 40.00 on a set of speedy sleves.

1274269511-lgpt_031.jpg.961beaf6ef7c77e9

that looks GREAT, so far. i can't wait to see more pics.

that is a very interesting engine, and even cooler that it runs. i bet it is fairly lightweight and balances well in that boat... with 170hp and the right prop, should have no trouble at all pulling skiers!

what are your other plans for the restoration?

edit: you know, one of those cool wakeboard overhead rack things might look sweet on this boat, if done right...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

here are the latest pics..its been slow going lately because I just started a new job at Gamefisherman building a 42 express. Its great to be employed again after 6 months of unemployment. The tank is installed and foamed in. all hoses and electrical is hooked up.deck is fabricated and in, and I'm laying up the dive platform now. the tank picture was taken before I finished the pour foam.

1280011844-c3.jpg.c0aa36de60896f1fb69634

1280011801-c1.jpg.2530fca8efe1e3ac42ca66

1280011759-c2.jpg.def5847d28b831b978fa90

found out the other day that the gimbal housing is junk. I took the boot off and the lip crumbled into white powder....so Im shopping for a good used gimbal plate....my gimbal ring is good but the bell housing is kinda ify...I'll probably replace that too. I want everything to be right when it hits the water...hate surprises.

• 4 weeks later...

well, first, what did you make the stringers out of? the way they are finished off, they look like some kind of foam.

also, how did you make the deck? did you make a mold?

then, how do you know what kind of fibergl*** cloth to use in different places?

and, when you use a mold, what is a good release agent?

sorry for all the questions. you're project looks good and i admire the knowledge and work going into it.

Your correct. The stringers are 3/4" divinycell pvc foam core material, doubled, and glued together with epoxy resin mixed with cabosil to give me a 1 1/2" thick stringer. Then ***embled out of the boat and dropped in as a unit. I wrapped them with 3 layers of 1708 biaxial cloth which is a unidirectional textile with chopped mat glued to the uderside with sizing. I always put 3/4'temp blocks to hold the stringers off the hull so I can partially roll the gl*** under the stringers. Tab them in, and then pull the blocks out before fully gl***ing the stringers in place. The deck was made on a temp mold fabricated from malamine. all it takes is a thin coat of wax to get it to release...too much wax and it will pre-release from the heat of the resin curing. then I sprayed gelcoat on the mold followed by one skin coat of 3/4 oz. chopped mat. 2 layers of 1708, 3/4" divinycell foam then 2 more layers of 1708. I put 3/4" ply core in the seat pedistal areas and where the batteries and trim pump mount. Remember....when making your mold everything is in reverse because your skipping the plug process for a one off. deciding which materials to use comes from experience... you learn what works from past mistakes. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well...really havent been keeping track of the time..mostly on and off on weekends, but not every weekend, for a little over a year now. Getting close though, I dropped the engine in this week to figure out the motor box I have to fabricate next. after that its on to painting everything and then putting it back together. Thanks for the compliment !

• 3 weeks later...

Archived