Sat Phone Rental

LittleChief

I've been down to Flamingo a couple times and I am headed there again in December. This time I would like rent a sat phone for piece of mind. Does anybody have suggestions on a good company to rent the phone from? I would prefer not to have to buy prepaid minutes, as I expect to not use the phone, unless there is an emergency. I mainly want the phone in case somehow I have boat problems way up in Whitewater where I fish. 

When you guys go, do you bring sat phones or an alternative source of communication? I don't think my hand held VHF will be able to work way up in the backcountry.

If you feel the need for a phone than by all means do it... Do you have a push pole? A 36" Metz antenna zip tied to the end of a push pole will give you all the range you need anywhere I've ever been in ENP. You just need to get a length of co-ax to go between the antenna and the VHF, I have 30'. Plus you can keep the whole set up on the boat at all times.

I also have an ACR ResQlink, this is the safest way to do it, bar none. $250 and your good to go if things get ugly. If interested do your research between EPIRBS/PLB and satellite/GPS messengers (spot, delorme, etc...) Don't let somebody in REI or West Marine tell you they're the same thing, they definately are not. 

I live 10 miles from the park, if you want, you can PM or call and give me your float plan. 

Be sure to test it out before your trip, I ordered my coax online from a cable company and had them install the appropriate connectors. You can lose a lot of signal strength through connections so I didn't want to have my possible rescue hinging on my very remedial soldering skills. 

Archived