2016 HPX-V 18 slow fuel fill

Marshfly

With only about 75 hours on the boat, it's to the point where I can no longer fill ever without very slowly filling and having the pump click off constantly. Has anyone removed/bypassed the charcoal canister to fix this? Is that the real issue?  The issue was occasional from when I bought the boat but now is happening every time.

Mine is pretty darn level too and I am having the problem constantly. With the location of the tank, it would have been simple to have the fill directly over the tank with a straight shot in. My last skiff was this way and I could have filled it with a fire hose. I'm yanking the canister to see if that helps the problem. Taking 30 minutes to either unhook and retook my trailer at the gas station or baby the gas in an 1/8 cup at a time is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, conocean said:

... I've never seen a charcoal canister in my boat...

The charcoal canisters, check calves, and non-venting tanks are a fairly new regulations, not sure when it went into effect. Brought to you by the same people that managed to ruin gas cans:/ 

Somebody on here is pretty smart on the entire newer tank setup, don't remember who but maybe they'll chime in. I don't know if simply removing the canister is going to alleviate all your problems. There's much more to it if I remember correctly. 

From what I've read, you want the fill going as downhill as possible without any upslopes and the vent just the opposite. Get that right without the canister and it should flow well. I'm going to work on this and report back. I'll try to get pics but due to the location of this mess on top of the tank, it might be tough. 

I got a chance to take a really good look at the hose mess under the front deck this afternoon. In addition to the vent that flows through the canister on it's way to the through hull there is also a separate hose that attaches to a vent in the fuel fill under the cap. So there should be plenty of venting. What I did find that concerned me was that the actual fill hose has to run uphill due to the long run across the boat from the fill to the tank inlet and the inlet sitting so high on the tank. The real fix is to have an inlet adjacent to the fill on the end of the tank to give the hose a short straight shot into the tank. The reason the fill is intermittent is probably due to the slope of the concrete downhill and away from the pump on the outside pumps of most stations. if you are on the inside pumps where the pavement is flat, you'll have problems because the hose has an uphill portion. On the other hand, if the fill side of the boat is a half inch higher than the other side it will all be downhill and should be fine.

Regardless, I cut a half inch out of the fill hose to tighten up that sag that is there and give it a better shot. I'll try it this weekend and we have a 2 day tournament next weekend so between scouting and the tournament, I should get a few fills in then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guy's this is an issue and will be so we have to get used to it, but...  With the current CFR standards there is not much that can be done by the OEM, the tank manufacturer can also do very little to make changes in the system that will still allow the installation to pass the EPA standards.  These tanks and the boats have to adhere to mandated tip studies having a "static" position predicated by the OEM, if the boat (when you're filling) isn't in that same "float" position the vents in the tank will prematurely close (these are simple floats), so if you're at level or bow down the tank won't fill.  Easily anyway!  It's complicated by design I think...   Also, it's against ABYC to have the fuel fill inside the gunnel (I know some boats have center tanks but those are typically rolled edge products without electric in a bilge area, or a bilge?)  Sorry to be even more confusing...

Archived