Suggestion on the best buffer

East Coast Dave

Easiest and safest buffer to use is a dual action. It will not damage paint or gel coat and won't leave swirls. I have one from harbor freight, works great for occasional use. You can use a wool pad for cutting, and then foam pads for finishing. 

http://m.harborfreight.com/power-tools/polishers/6-in-57-amp-heavy-duty-dual-action-variable-speed-polisher-69924.html

The dual action is great for up keep and light oxidation, but if you have  moderate to heavy oxidation a rotary will be best.  

You can buy other brand name dual actions for more money, but I haven't seen a big difference. And for the amount I use it HF works great.

Search through this forum for tips.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/forum.php

Headhunter,

Thank you for the offer. I figured I had the boats off the lift, I should probably start on my checklist if things that need to be done....the Pathfinder was getting a lift too much sun on the sw corner.  Going to order some  Zainos and get started. I should have it looking like new in no time.  I'll let you know if I decide to take you up on it but I may just pick one up. Sounds like something I should have around. My arms and shoulders seem to get more sore than I remember them getting from doing it by hand just a few years ago....

I'll have to to stop by and show you the new, to me, HPX. I love it. 

IMG_2457.JPG

I have the Griot's 6" orbital and like it very much. Sometimes I wish I would have bought the 3" orbital so I could do my center console on the boat and other small areas on my truck and car. I have had it for about 5 years plus and it does have a lifetime warranty against defects. I have heard there return policy is easy but I have never used it.

Lastly, they have videos (which I am sure other companies do) of how to use there products.

dc

For those of you willing to try it, probably a good time to mention the shark hide treatment.  I think it was linesider who put it on his trailer, which caused me to look into it.   After a little research, it sounded like it was safe for gel coat, so I decided to put it on my hull (nothing to lose with a boat this old, right?).   Its been about a year now, and the hull still shines like the day I applied it.  YMMV, but may be worth looking into 

Another vote for Porter Cable.  I actually purchased one and a few years later bought another one.  For me, it is easier for the wax on and then wax off without having to change bonnets, back and forth. Or having to remove wax by hand.  I think for the price provides a quality product that gets the job done well for a DIY'er.

What is important is to understand how to use your electric polisher properly, make sure it is in the random orbital mode, choose the correct speed, then make sure you use the correct buffing pad and removing pad.  That said, also the correct sized products as well.  Then, make sure and keep them clean.  Soak them in a bucket with detergent with warm water for 30 minutes and rinse clean.  If you look, you can find all this information.  It is a bit daunting to get it dialed in, then it is easy.  Good luck!

I use Shark-Hide metal protectant. But, you have to start with a clean trailer. If you apply Shark-Hide over an oxidized trailer, it will still look dull and oxidized. Shark-Hide also makes some cleaner for aluminum trailers. We had a discussion about this a while back. Might check the archives.

Was thinking about my post (Ryobi Orbital buffer), it's good if you have light oxidation on the gelcoat, but a larger buffer and bonnet is required is you have med. to heavy oxidation.

Archived