Waaaaay off topic but important

jason p

First some backstory...

My sister works for a very high-end furniture company in Hickory NC, so with a little work on my end we have some really nice (absurdly expensive retail) furniture in our house. The rug in the living room was getting ratty (according to my wife, I couldn't tell) so I said to get with my sister and get a new one. Here's where it gets sticky...

My wife says, "how 'bout you stop wearing your shoes in the house so the rug doesn't get all beat up from you running back and forth through the living room?"

I says, 'I'm not living in a house where I have to tip-toe around in stocking feet worrying about ruining stuff, that's ridiculous" I said this in a lot nicer tone than it reads.

She says, "So let me get this straight, I have to take off my shoes and step on a towel every time I get on the Maverick but you can't leave your nasty Sh%& on the patio when you come into the house" She said this just the way it reads.

I says "It's totally different" and ran out of the house into the garage. She had a plane to catch so I hid until right before she had to leave but she comes back in town tomorrow night so we are on the clock! I need an appropriate response from some of you veterans of marital bliss.

Jason

here is my take and this may be ok since your wife fly fishes.  the rug can be vacuumed.  your are not removing shoes and keeping deck clean for the boats sake it is to keep both yours and her, primarily her fly lines from picking up dirt and able to operate at peek performance.  this is all based on the assumption your sister cannot get fly lines at a deeeeeppppp discount as well.  I know that is why I wipe my deck down constantly.

just my 2 cents.   

6 hours ago, jason p said:

I need an appropriate response from some of you veterans of marital bliss.

30 years here. 

If you want her to respect what's important to you. You have to respect what's important to her. 

Not the macho responce. But the truth. 

As far as marital bliss goes, A man cave like noted by mulligan is an excellent prescription. 

Here's my two cents :  we ( MEN ) will never think the same as a woman. You've heard " we are from Venus, and they are from Mars".... I will have to agree with LarryH on that if you respect what seems to be important to them ( as crazy as it feels) ..you will have much more time to go fishing. Also: I have a fridge and big a$$ fan in my garage right next to where my Pathfinder is parked and she never asked what I'm doing if I'm out there tinkering with the boat or tackle. I do however, take off my shoes at the door , step in and put on trusty flip flops ( also known as bedroom shoes in South Georgia) and go in the house or either go barefooted. She does like to keep the floors clean in the house, and she knows I like to keep the boat clean. By the way:  we have been married 35 years , the kids are grown and married, out the house..and I still fish or hunt almost every weekend if not working. So- sometimes you have to give a little to "get a little" ..........just saying, JJ

13 hours ago, triplec said:

Ha! Good luck! 

Year 29 for me...

Practice with me...

Yes dear

You are right

I'm sorry

I was wrong

I'm only in my 22nd year but I have to say this is the best way.

Another option:  Get a dog, and then it's expected that floors and carpet will get dirty and wear out.

My wife is a clean freak. But is also hell-on-wheels. Nothing is safe, she can fubar concrete and steel. LoL. 

But Nauti is correct, get a dog. We did and my hunting Labrador Retriever has given our wood floors that desireable "stressed" look. LoL 2.0

I fight the same battle.  My wife just can't understand how I can be so concerned about the condition of the boat but not give two flips about the house.  Have to admit it is somewhat inconsistent on the surface.  My response is that my concern about dirt, marks, sunscreen, etc. is more about longevity and ultimately functionality than aesthetics, which it is I believe. But she's not going to get it and I'm not going to get why she cares that wreath on the front door be changed with the season, or why we put place mats on the table that we have to take off before we eat.  But I've learned (13 years) to pick your battles, probably not as well as I should though.  Had a realization a while back that I have about 80 square feet in our house that is really mine, my closet.  The rest is hers.  I have a barn, a truck and an office.  When she wonders why those are places where I spend all my time, I remind her that there's only so much I can do in my closet. 

Take your shoes off, find your man cave, live in peace.

On 10/27/2016 at 4:33 PM, jason p said:

First some backstory...

My sister works for a very high-end furniture company in Hickory NC, so with a little work on my end we have some really nice (absurdly expensive retail) furniture in our house. The rug in the living room was getting ratty (according to my wife, I couldn't tell) so I said to get with my sister and get a new one. Here's where it gets sticky...

My wife says, "how 'bout you stop wearing your shoes in the house so the rug doesn't get all beat up from you running back and forth through the living room?"

I says, 'I'm not living in a house where I have to tip-toe around in stocking feet worrying about ruining stuff, that's ridiculous" I said this in a lot nicer tone than it reads.

She says, "So let me get this straight, I have to take off my shoes and step on a towel every time I get on the Maverick but you can't leave your nasty Sh%& on the patio when you come into the house" She said this just the way it reads.

I says "It's totally different" and ran out of the house into the garage. She had a plane to catch so I hid until right before she had to leave but she comes back in town tomorrow night so we are on the clock! I need an appropriate response from some of you veterans of marital bliss.

Beautiful!

You don't want the prize for winning that argument..  I would love to give you some witty additions to the fly line theory, like follow it up with you were very agreeable to buying her a new rug for the convenience of not taking off your shoes, but it's not the way to go...  Woman don't follow the same kind of logic we do, they have there own totally different way of looking at things... To make it worse, they don't always tell us that we have completely screwed ourselves  when we have...   Woman will concede in a argument just to torture us for a while until they feel even, and the ratio is not always 1/1... Sometimes they feel the need to get three times as even as we were stupid...  I personally would not pick that fight !!!   

was 46 for me until recently. never had that problem with shoes on in house and we both were neat freaks. but I always laid a towel on the dock to wipe feet/shoes/paws before going on the boat. both stef and the pup understood my madness, LOL, good luck. happy wife makes for a happy life. learned that very quickly.:), fin

Archived