newbie Boat Fender Question

david Terry

How do you raise the height of the fenders/bumpers used when docking?

The ramp/dock i use ends up hitting the rub rail even though I have the fenders up pretty high. If i shorten the rope enough it is difficult to loop around the cleats. I did see something that showed using a PVC pole in the rod holders but currently only have one rod holder each side of the boat.

Thanks

I feel your pain.  But really, my 22 Pathy is the same way.  What I did was to buy a couple of Taylor Big B, 10" x 26" fenders.  I ran the rope through the center hole and tied a knot at the "bottom" of the fender so that I have just enough line to tie to the boat cleats, and the fender remains at the very tippy-top of the hull side.  This has kept the rub rail off any docks I have tied up to.  The 10" diameter of the fender is the key.  Most people think small boat, small fenders.  Not for me and my boat.  Not if I am trying to keep my boat from being scratched up by the dock.

16 hours ago, Miss Jazzy said:

I have the big ones too. I tie a rope to each end of the fender and make it just long enough to hang over the side of the boat sideways from the cleat just under the rub rail. Works good for me.

x2, larger Is the way to go. same method. allows for movement of boat and use a spring line.

Archived