23 HPS or 24 TRS

captaincowart

I'm pretty sure they're making a 24HPS now, probably worth looking into. I did fly fish for sails off a 23 and it was pretty incredible the way it handled some relatively snotty conditions but as the resident bay boat hater I have really nothing else constructive to add. I imagine you could fit more cup holders, umbrellas, and speakers on the 24 though:D

I have a 23 HPS, which last year I would say was the best boat Pathfinder developed. Today I demoed the brand new 2500 Hybrid and it's amazing. The waters on the harbor were 3-4 and we ran 52 with a smooth as glass ride. The vacuum formed hull felt more solid, no shake. If you're looking at the 23, you deserve it to yourself to look at the 25. 

IMG_6751.JPG

IMG_6752.JPG

IMG_6753.JPG

IMG_6756.JPG

IMG_6757.JPG

IMG_6759.JPG

Yeah I agree linesider, my 2200 TE is an awesome boat to fish from, great deck design, but when the wind kicks up, it doesn't handle it very well. I keep hearing the 23 HPS eats it up, just trying to decide between the 23 HPS or 24 TRS, I really wish they still made the 24 TE. I am arranging a sea trial in the 23 HPS next week, I've been in a new 24 TRS in windy conditions and it did well, like a 24 ft should do. Hoping to find out if the 23 HPS rides more like the 22 TE or the 24 TRS or is just a different animal all together.

To me the 25 is a no brainer it does everything the 23 will do with a better big water ride. It has more beam, higher gunnels, huge front deck, more cockpit room........

The only sacrifices are a few mph off the top speed and 1 inch of draft. It will be my next ride

Well we were planning on fishing today in my 23, but the wind was gusting 25 mph. We decided to wait for a better day and it just so happened Pathfinder was demoing the 25 today at the Marina. We stayed absolutely dry in the ride with the 25 today. I think my 23 would of ran fine, but when needing to cut through rough water I think the only thing that will smooth out the chop is having length. The 25 has the extra 1'3", a different dead rise, more weight, and is completely vacuum formed. The draft is about the same (w/ F300). If it was must drive situation in the 23 with rough water conditions I would of ran shallow water for a smooth ride and reduced the stress on the hull. However just like my decision today to not fish due to the weather, I just wouldn't be out in this chop, but if I lived in a area where this weather was typical I would run the 25 over the 23 in rough water.  The 25 appears wider, but only has an extra 2" beam (they did this by making the console narrower). The 25 sits higher out of the water, which makes it appear as though the gunnels would be deep, however Pathfinder raised the floor, which makes an easy approach in the boat.  I think 23 takes the win for flats fishing all day long, but if you're looking for a multi-purpose boat to do the occasional off-shore days, the 25 fills that niche. At the end of the day they are both Pathfinder boats and you can't go wrong with any new Pathfinder you choose. 

51 minutes ago, linesider 159 said:

If you went in the harbor today with this wind direction i dont think the 25 or 23 would be very fun :D

We went at 11:30 am with a ENE wind and incoming tide with white caps on the water. Like I mentioned not a day I would normally go out on the water, but it was a great day to demo the capabilities of the 2500 Hybrid. It performed well and we remained dry with 4 men on board. They actually were having Dragon Boat Races today and pulled those off the Harbor due to the conditions and ran them in the Marina basin. 

Yes it's Jay withers. I got to look at his boat at the IFA championship in LA. He had several 24's blacked out with that tan cap. It's a great looking combo, but that 25 just seems to have a very spacious layout while still maintaining a very large front deck. I like that the front deck is squared off instead of the cut in.

His pathys always seem to be faster than usual and his 25 was way faster than the first 25 if I'm not mistaken. It's frustrating when you think your boat is quick and then he rolls by!

Archived