Looking to purchase; what to look for?

MPFit

Hi guys! My names Mark. Currently in the process of selling my offshore boat to get into skinnier water. I plan to purchase a used Hewes or Maverick. 18 or 19ft. I'm not opposed to a fixer upper since I have a fiberglass guy and an engine guy I trust. But when purchasing the older boats; what should I look for as signs of needed repair? Transom stress cracks, soft spots, gas tank leaks? Anything that is fairly common? The used market pricing is pretty high compared to most other similar boats- however I've ridden in a few and am completely in love with the Redfisher and to a lesser extend the Master Angler; but would be a happy man with either!

Thanks!

-Mark

First...welcome..

1.) What do you plan on doing?  Pole?  Live bait?  

2.) Where do you plan on fishing?   Lots of open water crossings?  or backcountry Mangroves?

3.) How much do you want to spend?

4.) Where do you live?  

I hear you mention RF and Mav Master Angler...two different boats for different uses......

Provide a bit more...then you have a myriad of people who will give you their opinions and experience...

dc

Thanks for the reply! Im planning to use it mostly for live bait fishing and artificially. Occasional sandbar hopping. Tampa Bay Area with trailering to keys and south Florida a few times a year. Not too much poling (if any). Leaning more towards the redfish; but keep hearing great things about the MA so don't want to limit it to one boat. Will be doing bay crossings occasionally but mostly fishing the flats near the ramps I drop at. Also some bass fishing. Budget will be around 10-12k : and my plan would be to repower and reinforce as necessary. Really looking into some of the common problems for the older boats so I know what to look for and get info on the fixes before I make the investment!

thanks!

MPFit...  check out the "favorite" section in this blog...  Lots of great advice on qualifying a vessel with some pricing logic tossed in there as well...  I just bought an MA and I'm in process of redoing much of it (having it done by choice) and the best advice that I can give you is really take some time looking past the obvious (but don't discount).  Dive into the wiring, inspect the hatches for sponginess (some big dudes have a habit of jumping off the poling platforms...), and of course mechanical fitness.  The older MA's are built very well and are quite durable, no wood construction back to around 97' (I think?) all composite.  With decent HP that boat will carry you and a guest comfortably at 45+ and slice nicely in bay chop...  Good luck on your venture man! 

1 hour ago, MPFit said:

Thanks! I've heard from numerous people the MA is one of the best hulls for open water. I've yet to test them but im curious; any reason why you say it's better than the redfish for open water crossing? Limited poling I can understand.

Deep cut V ...the RF is a nice boat...but, for the chop..hard to beat an older MA....

I just bought my skinny mini 17T Pathfinder...if I didn't got with this one...I would have gone for a 18MA older model and completed a rebuild...

Where and how i fish, I like my 17T to running around Chokoloskee...I don't live bait other than shrimp  and I liked the open cockpit...

I get beat up a bit on the open water...but, it's a trade.

I owned RF 18, nice boat, but, heavy....the older lappys are nice...but, if you are looking for Tampa bay, go MA and you won't be sorry...

Dc

MAs were woodless at least as far back as '87.  Agree on all of the above.  The MA is a hard boat to beat if you can find one.  Just beware, they weren't built after about 2007 (except for the 21), so anything you find will be well owned.   Based on what you are describing as your plans, though, it sounds like a good fit.  

I bought mine 2.5 years ago and sort of stumbled into it.  Having owned a lot of boats in my lifetime, I'm constantly amazed at the open water ride and flexibility of the hull, it does everything well.   Just keep in mind it is a flats boat, so when we say it handles open water extremely well, we mean that relative to other flats boats.  There's not much in Tampa Bay that you wont' be able to get to with an MA, especially if it has a jackplate.  

I'll definitely look into the blog- thank you all so much for your advice. I'll take an extra look at the hatches and wiring; good point on people jumping off the poling platform - hadn't thought about that!. I really appreciate your advice guys. I'll keep an eye for the MAs over the RFs

Archived