Looking for good solutions -

whichwaysup

Hey all - Probably a stupid post here but this has been driving me crazy and I'm sure there's a brilliant solution someone on here has already figured out.

You all know what happens to lures/hooks when salt touches them.  I always rinse my rods off after I fish, but the 10,000 lures/jigs that got swapped out during the trip (and subsequently tossed to the bottom of the boat, laid on the console, dangled from various equipment) often get left on the boat.   So now I have two issues - my tackle gets scattered and the hooks rust out.  There's no way, during a trip, I'm going to stop and put things back where they belong - 40 some odd years of habits are not worth breaking.  

The two problems I'm trying to solve for are:

1) I don't have a good place to put these lures so they can be rinsed. I have toyed with the idea of putting a cup/container on the console to drop them into, but I really don't want to put more holes in the console, and I haven't found a "nice" enough container to justify the hole.

2)  Whatever container I use, I need it to be easily removed from the boat so I can give the lures a quick  rinse afterwards and then re-store them in my tackle box.

Seems simple, but the issue has confounded me for 2.5 years now.  Anyone have a great system?

Not sure how your layout is but I have done it a few ways.  The boat I had that had a grab rail I put a pool noodle on it and just stuck the lures that I used to that.  The last boat had under gunnel rod storage that a put a piece of foam on the stick my lures to.  Both were easy to rinse off while washing the boat.  I have not done it but have seen some people put a small piece of SeaDek on the console to stick lures to.

My lure fishing consist mainly of zara spooks, mirror lures and jig heads, I do have a piece of sea dek on side on console that I hang them from when not in use or when i change because I have convinced myself to use another color...I also keep a one gallon tupperware container with a tight top onboard with soapy water in it...after I know I won't be using a lure for the rest of day ( like top water lures in mid morning ) I put them in the container which is stored in my front hatch. By the end of day, most of them are in the soapy water and are well rinsed of any salt. Of course, the fun part is separating them later...and getting them ready for the next fishing trip. Not sure if this helps you...but it's my system for now. JJ

I throw mine in the cooler as Jasonp stated, when I get home and unpack the cooler I hang them to dry and put away.  I'm not a fan of lure racks.. to many exposed hooks for me.  Plan is making the 3700 & 3600 size tackle rays that are full of small holes in the top and bottom that might be useful for what you want to do as well

Archived