Best inshore combos on a budget

rubble

Looking to pickup a couple of 2500 or 3000 reels for inshore snook and reds. Looking for something under $100.00. 

Also looking match some rods. 

Just updated my freshwater casting gear with the Scott Martin Okuma rods and reels mixed in with some revo reels. Not sure if any of those are setup to handle the salt so figured some affordable spinning outfits would be the way to go. 

I bought some close out 3000s reels (their brand) from Gander Mountain about a month ago for $35 each normally $70. Took them to the keys and beat the hell out of them and they worked fine. They were changing over years or suppliers. They had rods as well but I had a couple from CCA. You might want to check that out. Oh, and they had a replacement warranty as well.

For the reel I am hearing good things about the new Shamino NASCI. It lists for $99.99. I had one in my hand a few weeks back and I will say it was smooth cranking.(for $100) Early press is it is a very good reel at that price point. As for rod a lot of folks on a budget go Ugly Stik but there are a ton of choices out there.

For spinners, I have used Shimano for 20 years....the old Stradic 2500's were some of the best spinning reels ever made, however,  they got pricey. So, nowadays I have switched to Symetre FL3000's because Shimano has revamped them with better bearings and gears and they are still under $100 each. I haven't tried the Sedona but Shimano also just made some changes to their Sedona's .... anyway...I fish screwtails and DOA's a lot, so I make many many cast and the Symetre's are holding up well. Good drag systems for such a light reel too...routinely catch nice reds on my 7 ft Falcon Low Rider paired with Shimano 3000 Symetre...you can't horse them to boat, but you can wear them down and have a catch and release.

IMG_3086.JPG

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shimano-Symetre-Spinning-Reel/1398668.uts?productVariantId=3293573&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03544412&rid=20&gclid=CMmRpvLhktACFUs6gQodHygADQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Purchase these in 3000 and 4000 and you are set. I have shimanos from these to stellas and I really like these for the price. I dont see the 3000 in stock but keep checking. I bought 2 recently from them and got an additional 10 off of 100 purchase.

40 minutes ago, bernieNC said:

The last Symetre is being discontinued (some good sales) and the NASCI is it's "replacement". the 

I just looked up the Nasci, it's their latest and greatest ! Apparently, it is replacing several Shimano models. New gears, new drag, different worm gear.....good price point too. 

Depending on if you are local or not.....to keep in the $100 and under category, if you are in the Tampa area, Tampa Fishing Outfitters (Lee Fisher Intl) sells Ohero branded rod and reels. My own personal experience has been outstanding. I routinely use their Capt Mel series rod (they're $99.99 nowadays) and gold series ($59.99). The Capt Mel rod has a nice short butt for kayak fishing and wading and the gold has a very fast and soft tip for catching trout. They don't break the bank and have lasted for well over 5 years. The reels are really close to the Daiwa Coastal series. I keep a couple on board as spares and have a couple married up to the Ohero rods. They have lasted just as long and are still smooth, no corrosion, and consistent drag. Keep your receipt, they stand by their rods and reels and have even replaced a Capt Mel that was caught in a door a little longer than the published warranty period (direct over the counter replacement).

The pic below is a Capt Mel with a Daiwa Tierra in the foreground. That was one of 3 huge snook all caught that morning (36", 40, 44+...the bump board was only 36")

Just my 2¢

r,

Bubbahttps://goo.gl/photos/8iXap7Fa82WYphXX8

20140518_075432.jpg

Shimano Symetre and Spheros in 2500, 3000 or 4000. I've had Stradics in the past (more $$) but much prefer the lighter feel of the Spheros.

Also, Daiwa SS Whisker 1300 or 1600. A bit heavier and slightly less smooth than the Shimanos but a workhorse of a reel that's great for live bait applications.

Can't kill any of these and they are all well under $100 used on eBay or Craigslist!

I have to say that the diawa Revros ($59) is a fantastic little reel if you dont' dunk it.  I have been a die hard stradic fan for about 20 years (sheesh, I'm getting old, has it been that long??), but as others have said, between some bad runs and an ever increasing price (and a lot of young anglers!), I've started looking for less expensive options that I can simply replace.   The Revros is about the smoothest reel I've ever used.   I've abused the ones I have (no rinsing no maintenance) to see how they held up, and was amazed that they are still as good as they were when I bought them.  The ONLY exception is the one that I fully dunked in the salt and then never rinsed off.   Every bearing went bad on me.  Why that didn't happen with the ones that got salt spray I'm not sure.  

Just another option.

• 2 months later...
On 11/6/2016 at 9:16 AM, Hurricane Bubba said:

Depending on if you are local or not.....to keep in the $100 and under category, if you are in the Tampa area, Tampa Fishing Outfitters (Lee Fisher Intl) sells Ohero branded rod and reels. My own personal experience has been outstanding. I routinely use their Capt Mel series rod (they're $99.99 nowadays) and gold series ($59.99). The Capt Mel rod has a nice short butt for kayak fishing and wading and the gold has a very fast and soft tip for catching trout. They don't break the bank and have lasted for well over 5 years. The reels are really close to the Daiwa Coastal series. I keep a couple on board as spares and have a couple married up to the Ohero rods. They have lasted just as long and are still smooth, no corrosion, and consistent drag. Keep your receipt, they stand by their rods and reels and have even replaced a Capt Mel that was caught in a door a little longer than the published warranty period (direct over the counter replacement).

The pic below is a Capt Mel with a Daiwa Tierra in the foreground. That was one of 3 huge snook all caught that morning (36", 40, 44+...the bump board was only 36")

20140518_075432.jpg

Hey Bubba.  I looked all over Naples for Capt Mel Rods with no luck.  I ended up purchasing a Star Stellar Lite Med-Light 7-6 rod at Sunshine.  Was considering purchasing a couple of the Capt Mel's because, well... That's my name and would be cool to have on the boat.  I'd like to get about 4 rods and replace the mismatch rods I have.  I loved the Star rod down in the ENP.  Could cast about anywhere and was able to skip jigs under the mangroves which I haven't been able to do with any other rods.  Only thing I didn't like was the long cork handle.  I'd like to get something where you actually hold the glass and not a handle but that may require a little more investment.  

My question is, have you (or anyone else here) used the Stellar Lites and if so, how do the Capt Mel's compare?  I asked the guys what the best rod in the store was to fish the ENP and was under $100.00 and they all said the Stars.  It did as well as my St Croix Avid series which was about twice the price.  

I went to Dogfish tackle and spoke with One of the guys. I was looking for a 100$ reel. I had heard the shimano nasci was solid. They told me otherwise. Now they didn't say it was a bad reel- on the contrary. They just pointed out the paths Shimano took to keep it cheap. He compared it to the NEW Daiwa BG. Many of the shorts on Shimano were not cut on the BG which is why he said it is the best 100$ priced reel. I have the BG, a penn fierce, a Shimano Stradic FK, and an Okuma trio. Obviously the stradic is the best- by far. I'd have 4 if money weren't an issue- but is it twice as good as the BG? No, not even close. I'd recommend the BG for anyone at 100$ budget. It's incredible.

Funny you say that.  I was going to purchase the Nasci at Sunshine at the same time as the rod but they were out.  They all said they really liked that reel at that price.  I already had a Nasci so I wanted to go with all the same reel.  My plans never work out as intended.  They recommended the BG in place of the Nasci.  I don't recall if they had that either but they put me in a Diawa.  My last rig I purchased from there was the Avid and a Diawa Sol.  Loved the Sol.  They said this reel was basically the old Sol but upgraded.  Think I paid around $140 for it tho.  

Always been a Shemano fan. Used to only fish stradics but at recomendations on here purchased some Sedonas for CHEAP In comparison. They were still in box when garage flooded so are my only working  inshore reels right now so will let you know soon how they are! 

I recently fished with a guide who loved his Penn Fierce II reels said he never did anything but rinse em and never let him down....Used em for day and thought they were super nice and will prob go that way from here forward. 

Srmo's website has the Daiwa BGs at 80$ for smaller sizes. 140$ seems over msrp unless you got a 6-7000? (Don't even know if they make that size). 

If local in Tampa area the dogfish signature graphite is an im8 blank I believe for 110$. Good rod. I like star rods more for their warranty however. I've got an ugly stick, dogfish stick, redbone and star stellar lite. I like the dogfish the best but they all are great rods. 

13 hours ago, rubble said:

Loved the Sol.

The Sols were great reels.  I still have a few that have never had anything done to them but wash off and they still work great.  I have a few other Daiwas that I can not say the same for, Ballistics, Feugos.  They were nice when they were new but always seem to break.  That being said I bought my nephew a BG3000 and that thing is a tank!  It seems to be a great reel and for $100 is really nice.

I made the switch to Daiwa a couple of years ago   I first purchased the Procyon's with mixed reviews on these reels.   One of them is still perfect and the other might have an early retirement.  

This year I purchased the Diawa BG2500 and it is by the the best $100 reel I have ever fished.  I paired it with a Calico Jack rod and I have been very impressed.   So smooth!

Turns out the Reel I got was a 2500 BG.  It may have been $100.00+/-.  I had told them I wanted a combo for under $200.00 and they said the BG & Star would do that.  I just recalled seeing something on the receipt for $140+/-.  Could have been the retail price but not the extended price.  I had a ton of items on the ticket and had purchased the big red stocking to get 20% off so they could have played with the numbers on paper.  The BG and Stellar Lite combo was awesome!

20 hours ago, rubble said:

Hey Bubba.  I looked all over Naples for Capt Mel Rods with no luck.  I ended up purchasing a Star Stellar Lite Med-Light 7-6 rod at Sunshine.  Was considering purchasing a couple of the Capt Mel's because, well... That's my name and would be cool to have on the boat.  I'd like to get about 4 rods and replace the mismatch rods I have.  I loved the Star rod down in the ENP.  Could cast about anywhere and was able to skip jigs under the mangroves which I haven't been able to do with any other rods.  Only thing I didn't like was the long cork handle.  I'd like to get something where you actually hold the glass and not a handle but that may require a little more investment.  

My question is, have you (or anyone else here) used the Stellar Lites and if so, how do the Capt Mel's compare?  I asked the guys what the best rod in the store was to fish the ENP and was under $100.00 and they all said the Stars.  It did as well as my St Croix Avid series which was about twice the price.  

Hi Rubble,

The Cap Mel rods are made by Ohero and are available either online or at Tampa Fishing Outfitters. I also have 2 Stellar Lites and like the Cap Mel a little better. Both are 7'6" and the Cap Mel seems to have a faster tip and is a quite a bit better at walking the dog, skipping jigs under mangroves, etc. The Stellar Lite has more backbone however the butt is a little long for the yak. Overall I really like the Tierra and Cap Mel setup better than the Star with Penn Conquer or Star with a Procyon or Diawa TD-A. Hope this helps. I would really like to try the Seagis split grip or one of the lighter weight St. Croix rods but until then I will have to stick with what I have.

TFO will periodically run sales on the Ohero line of products and it's then that you can score a good deal. The TFO customer service and Ohero replacement policy is great.

I have the split grip stellar lite and love it. Never held a capmel rod though. The split grip stellar is a fast taper model with a fast tip. I love it, but never held a capmel. They have them at StPete Fishing Outfitters (TFOs sister store in pinellas). Over the counter warranty is hard to beat on the Star rods though- not that I've ever had to deal with a broken rod replacement warranty.

16 hours ago, palmetto1 said:

I bought some for the Hurricane Calico Jack Inshore Rods 7' at Dicks and have been very happy with them. M or ML 7 or 7'6". $60 and will ship to your door.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10979937

Good rods. 

Penn Battle is a decent reel and within the price range. 

Archived