Bubba Blade vs others...

Wanaflatsfish

I've always used Dexter Russell, no reason to change. I used to fish a lot with commercial buddy and when we'd drop fish off at fish house that's all you saw in those guys hands.   

I've gone through various stages of knife collecting and sharpening as a hobby and almost started my own knife sharpening business a few years ago. I could go on for while about different knives, metals and "grinds" for different uses. I can tell you that no fillet knive will last long tackling redfish bones. Fillet knives are thin and flexible for filleting.  Get a boning knive. Nothing "wrong" with the bubba blade except the price but honestly the best part is the handle. You can get 2 Dexters for the price of a BB and they are better made in the USA.🇺🇸 

I like the American Legacy Fishing Co. "World's Best Fillet Knife.  It is razor-sharp, high carbon steel and comes with a handmade leather sheath.  You can get one for under $50.  Also use the Dexter 1378, an 8 inch, wide boning knife that comes with a beechwood handle that you can find for about $20.  And, a Dexter 41842-6, a 6" traditional handle curved skinner.  It's also high carbon steel, with the same beechwood handle.  I think you can get that one for about $15.  

I have the Bubba 9 inch flex "gift". I got close to cleaning around 400 fish "Snappers, mahi, groupers, reds, trout cobia, and so on" until it started getting dull.

I have a high end edge pro sharpener. I can't sharpen the dang thing. Had to take it to a pro sharpening place and they got it back like new.

I really like the handle better than the blade but no real complaints on the knife other than the price.:(

Hard to beat the DR for the money and you won't freak out if one goes in the drink.

Archived