Cleaning Table Bacteria - How Many Bring Their Own Boards

Wanaflatsfish

I don't know how many of you bring you own cleaning boards to public fish stations, but, I got to thinking about a post for anyone who does not.

The amount of bacteria and other "stuff" from birds sitting on the tables, etc. can be serious....

Think about salmonella and other stuff that grows in a wet moist environment..

For quite a while, I've brought along a 18x30 cleaning board I bought on Amazon for about $25 or so.  

I keep it in the truck and then use it when I'm cleaning fish at public locations...to be honest, I don't even like to wash off the filets using the hoses at many of these places....and will usually wash down filets when I get home..the stuff growing in some of the hoses could scare ya.  If I"m sharing fish, I"ll filet at the dock, if not, I"ll filet at home and then feed the caracass to my canal crabs :)

Just something to think about....

dc

You know what's wierd?  As much sense as this post makes, I've never heard of anyone getting sick from this.  I guess cooking the fish thoroughly takes care of most of this but it certainly is something to think about.  Not hearing about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen but to Wannaflatsfish's point it does make sense that there'd be some NASTY stuff lurking on those boards.

42 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

You know what's wierd?  As much sense as this post makes, I've never heard of anyone getting sick from this.  I guess cooking the fish thoroughly takes care of most of this but it certainly is something to think about.  Not hearing about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen but to Wannaflatsfish's point it does make sense that there'd be some NASTY stuff lurking on those boards.

Pelican $$hi77 on the boards as they sit on the edge ???

Yeah, I agree - but, i've never heard of anyone getting sick....but, don't know if I want to be eating my "sushi" tuna cut on a public board :)

dc

Clean your fish on the hoods of the cars without trailers in the closest "boat trailer only" spots a the ramp. The hood of a freshly waxed Audi or Range Rover SUV is the perfect non-porous, bacteria-free surface in which to clean your bounty. At places like Flamingo you don't even have to pick up the carcasses because the vultures will swiftly and thoroughly remove all fish pieces left on their hoods, they'll get the window molding and windshield wipers as well, but in the grand scheme of things it's a small price for these terrible people to pay.

Archived