Comparison of Garmin 741xs--Lowrance Elite 7 Ti

Chuck59

Good Morning Forum

I need a little advice. I plan to upgrade my electronics. Trying to decide between the Garmin 741xs and Lowrance Ti 7.. I currently have  Lowrance Elite 4 which is too small. My transducer is a shoot-thru hull. My questions are:

Which unit is the most user friendly?

Do both units offer the option to expand the screen with finger touch?

Are both satisfactory with the shoot-thru mounting configuration?

Thanks

chuck

I haven't looked at the Garmin but I will. 

I have been looking at the Elite 7ti and I  really like it a lot. Seems like a lot of features for a good price, compares well to HDS only missing a few feature that I don't need. I like that it links to Motorguide TM and Power Pole, I have both. 

I watched a video on the Garmin. I have to say Elite 7 ti offers much more bang for your buck.

Garmin for about $800  basically get a built in map and regular bottom finder, and maybe XM weather capability. Lowrance for about $800 you get side scan, down scan, chirp, built in map+navionics map, and ability to control T/M and Power Pole. Of course there are more options with each, but I think those are most common.

Maybe someone has hands on experience with both and will chime in. You might also consider the Simrad Go 7.

Power Pole is Bluetooth and a cable is needed to run from the machine to TM. There an extra plug on the TM for connecting to the sounder machine. Its pretty cool you can have TM run tracks saved in the sounder or just steer it like the remote. Don't know that I would use the feature much, but It would be a great backup should TM remote batts die or I drop the remote.

One other thing to add here - I don't know if the Garmin offers side scan capability, but if not, that would be a significant consideration for me.  Not many people use side scan, or not as many as I'd expect, but since getting it for my boat, I find it absolutely invaluable.   Think about it - we fish shallow, so downscan is nearly useless for finding fish.  Side scan is pretty impressive.   

Take a look at some of these images - these are striper up here in NC.   You can see I'm in pretty shallow water, and the white specks with the shadows are fish.  You can also see some pretty amazing structure to the left/right if you look.  

You may not want side scan immediately, but being able to upgrade to it later will save you from having to buy a new machine.  And with the total scan transducer, you only have one xducer to install.

shot005.png

shot001.png

shot006.png

I have the Garmin 94sv and the side scan is very clear as well.......good for finding redfish around dock pilings, etc. The down scan is also clear as a bell. I am not saying Garmin is better,  because I have no experience with Lowrance. Marine electronics of all types are far better than they were just 3 to 5 years ago.

Thanks for all of the information. The more that I look at the Elite 7 TI, the more I like it.  have seen some reviews that discuss the TotalScan transducer vs. the Downscan/Sidescan model. Marine Deal offers the Unit with either transducer. I plan to mount mine inside the hull and shoot thru. I know that this will affect sidescan, but not really worried about the detail of the places that I fish in the marsh. Any suggestions on which transducer is the best for my application?

Archived