talon info

johnd

I have had Talon (Anchor system) about 3-4 years.  1st generation.  Couple weeks back it begun to fail.  Dealer reported build up of sand in mechanism, work parts etc.  while out of warranty dealer convinced MinnKota to pay to replace numerous parts.  There have been various upgrades over the years and these all done.  I paid about 1/3 of the total bill.  Back on boat, 2 times it failed again.  It's the main computer board (which I suspect was initially the problem)

During my conversations yesterday dealer talked about the build up of sand in mechanism...and here's my point - even though I religiously flush the unit (this is a must to prevent salt build up) it appears the design itself traps sand etc.  he inferred it was not my failure to flush, but instead a design failure.   Ok: I love the way it works, I like not having an extended pole (I.e. powerPole) out behind boat in the skinny creeks I fish.  I like the very fast deploy and quick retrieval...but consider this a warning.  

You are correct. What turned out to be computer (board) problem is why I took it for service.  They found all the "other stuff"

local dealer treating me well, but they have a defensive attitude: like it's my fault they didn't fully test stuff.   It's back on boat today.. next week I'll go fishing & hope everything works.

Archived