Knife sharpening the easy way

justfish

This seems to come up every couple months in its own topic or in some other topic. I think I made a similar post years ago that was lost in old forum, maybe this one will stick around a while. We all use knives and need to sharpen them. 

I have been a knife "collector" since I was a kid. Nothing super expensive, I just like to keep an eye out for quality knives. So since I was a kid I've always looked for ways to keep em sharp.  I've had everything from a selection of wet stones to the clamp on stones, chef choice,,,you name it, I've likely tried it.  I came across this method prob 5-6 years ago and have never looked back.  I couldn't tell you where any of my other sharpeners are.  There are numerous write ups online that go into more specifics on this method if you wish to read up on it (Search - 1x30" knife sharpener) I will keep it short and to point.  For my Fire Instructor class I had to do a 30 minute presentation so I picked knife sharpening and did a demo on everyone's knife.  I passed with flying colors. 😉 After recent flood, I had to purchase all new stuff so figured it be a good time to show this:

Basically it's a stripped down el cheapo harbor freight 1x30" belt sander.  I believe there are better 1x30's out there but never really looked. I used the heck outta my last one and it's $40 or so if it dies. Take off everything including guards, tables, and the side panel.  This makes for quick belt changes.   Also quality belts in the 65 micron (240 grit), 30 micron (600 grit), and 1200 grit.  I finish each sharpening on a leather belt made for the sander with some compound.

I get my belts from Truegtit.com...they ship fast. The official shopping list I copied off another page: 

• 1.) 3M Trizact Gator 240 grit (A65)
  • 2.) 3M Trizact Gator 600 grit (A30)
  • 3.) Norton Norax Aluminum Oxide 1,200 grit
  • 4.) Green Chrome compound

I know the first thing that pops into your head is there is no "guide" for blade angle. Nope and it's not a big deal.  Go buy yourself a couple flea market knives to get the hang of it, after that you will feel super comfortable.  The key is not to stop the knife and heat the blade..  This becomes more and more important as the grit gets finer. A lot of people use water in between passes, I just go quick and never had need.  Again, you will get feel for it.  

If a knife is in bad shape like most neglected knives are, I go right down that list.  After its been sharpened by me before and just needs a "tune up" usually just a swipe or two on the 1200 and the the leather is all that's needed.  Really super easy....

Here is everything including the belts in order I use em in.  All in with one set of belts your right at $100

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had a chefs choice. Did ok but  no comparison especially in blade holding an edge.  The three main edge grinds are flat, concave and convex.  Flat is made with a stone, hollow with wheels (like chefs choice) , and convex with a belt like the belt grinder.

While the narrower the edge, the sharper it may seem at first, the first step in a blade dulling is the edge bending.  Which do you think bends first and which do you think is the longest lasting?  That is the true advantage to doing it this way...

image.jpeg

All the belts and compound are from truegrit.  I'd recommend two 240, two 600 and three 1200grit to get started. The higher grit go quicker by nature and cause eventually that's what you'll use most. One leather should last a long while - def don't leave it on the grinder as it will stretch a lot. The compound comes in a brick size and should last 7 lifetimes. 

Wicked edge is absolutely fool-proof and allows you to dial in an exact edge angle based on intended use.  It takes no time to learn, is simple to use and touch up blades that are beyond a quick steel touch-up.  Probably a little more than a Harbor freight belt sander, but also probably a bit more suited to sharpening really good knives.  My Japanese kitchen knives are scalpel sharp...will cut tissue paper!  Also, keeps my Forschner filet blades just the same (they just dull a bit quicker). 

One of the best tools I have ever purchased:

https://www.wickededgeusa.com/product/wicked-edge-precision-sharpener/

On 11/10/2016 at 5:35 PM, justfish said:

I had a chefs choice. Did ok but  no comparison especially in blade holding an edge.  The three main edge grinds are flat, concave and convex.  Flat is made with a stone, hollow with wheels (like chefs choice) , and convex with a belt like the belt grinder.

While the narrower the edge, the sharper it may seem at first, the first step in a blade dulling is the edge bending.  Which do you think bends first and which do you think is the longest lasting?  That is the true advantage to doing it this way...

image.jpeg

Good stuff here. I have a knife shop around here and the guy uses a belt just like the one your using. He was the one that could sharpen the Bubba Blade when I couldn't.

I have an edge pro now and have been fairly happy with it. It looks similar to the wicked edge. It does take a little time to learn how to use the edge pro.

For some reason the Bubba Blade did not want to take an edge no matter what angle I tried. And yes, the wife and buddies seem to know when I have my sharpener out.

5 hours ago, poleposition said:

Troy, if you look into the Wicked Edge, you won't need the shop anymore I promise.  There will be only one potential problem: all my friends and family come over with a box of knives for me to sharpen every time they visit, so you may create more work for yourself  (; .  It's that easy and that good.

John,

Like all your toys....they come with a price....but, you always have the "best"....good suggestion...

I need a new pair of shoes for my bike...Sidi's or Giro's for my fat wide feet before I can buy a knife sharpener :)

dc

Archived