ANYONE IN THE FORT MYERS AREA willing to help a brother out?

whichwaysup

Hey folks.   I just put a deposit down on a 2001 Master Angler.  If everything checks out, I will be the new owner.   

Is there ANYONE in the Ft. Myers area on this forum who's willing to do a brother a favor and put eyes on this thing for me?   Its at Cape Tool and Tackle.  I wont' be able to arrange a visit down there as quickly as I'd like.  I know it's asking a lot, but if anyone drives by that area and is willing to just confirm visually what I've been told, I'd be eternally grateful.

Hard to coordinate these things from NC!

Greg, I would be very grateful if you could stop by.  I am going to be sealing the deal early in the week once I get a few pics and the compression numbers from the mechanic.  based on the convo with the owner, the boat should be in excellent shape physically with only one blemish in the gel coat on the deck.  it will be a little dirty, but a quick visual will tell you if he's being honest.  small lies = big lies, so based on what the condition should be, it should be pretty obvious if the reality doesn't match.

Big snook, I may take you up on your offer yet, but will let you know.

Whichwaysup,

I was just driving by Cape Tool and stopped in.  Overall, the boat looks good. One crack in the deck which they said they discussed with you. I looked at the underside of the hull as best I could and did not see any evidence of damage or repairs. Wiring looked aged but OK, however I did not test anything electrical, nor did I hear the engine run.  The trailer and tires appear to be in good shape, but did not see trailer lights work, etc.

The boat does appear to have been "fished hard and put away wet" on a regular basis and is in dire need of a good detailing (pet peeve of mine). I always wonder if they let the general cosmetic care slip, what else may have gone without attention. That being said, if you have the engine and electrical checked out and everything is OK, I think you've got a solid boat for the price.  Let me know how it turns out!

Bob

Bob,

Thanks so much for swinging by and looking at it.   I can't tell you how much it helps and is pretty darned cool to have folKS on this forum willing to do it. I heard from Greg too that it was a bit of a disaster cosmetically (dirty).  certainly looks different than the Craigslist pictures. I am a bit of a freak about keeping the boat clean so my question is, can it be cleaned up?  Does it look like long term dirt build up or build up from the past year?  any other issues?

The majority of the dirty areas were in the hatch compartments and had lots of tree litter, like those little pollen things from oaks, etc.  They can definitely be cleaned up but are probably never going to look new (have to remember the boat is 15 years old). Will definitely take some elbow grease to make those areas nice. I didn't look in there, but Brian told me the bilge was in bad shape (dirty) and they had used some bilge cleaner to try and neaten it up a bit. Brian said the boat had a full cover so my question would be why wasn't it used?  

Again, I just always wonder if the easy stuff (washing) wasn't done, what else did they not do? My biggest concerns would be whether the engine had been flushed regularly, condition of the wiring, etc.

I am probably too picky about this stuff. I just got done doing my semi-annual acid wash, wash, aqua buff and waxing of my Redfisher. My neighbors always think I am crazy when they see me on my back in the driveway running a buffer on the underside of my hull...

If you have had a survey and it comes out OK and the price is right, I would probably buy the boat just understanding it needs some love.

You need to visually check the stringer by the sea chest. Look for cracks both inside and outside around the sea chest. I have seen 3 21 MA come apart there. It will leak into the hull there if that issue is present. I would put the boat in the water and sea trial. Check bilge for water after a good sea trial. If there is any water in the bilge you better start looking around really good. I believe Master repair has fixed one with the issue. You may want to talk with them to get further details. It is not an easy fix.

Whichwaysup,

I know this is an 18.5 and not a 21, but I would defer to Capt. Troy here. I'm sure he has more knowledge about the MA's than I do.  I certainly did not do any kind of inspection on the stringers, but based on what Brian said about the condition of the bilge and what Capt. Troy said about water intrusion into the bilge, I would want it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing.

Capt. Troy, have the 18.5's had a similar issue as the 21's in this regard?

Not to my knowledge. Sorry, I assumed it was a 21. No matter, they are great boats built by good folks who know how to build them.

The early 21 MA had a small issue. Normally exposed by running like a maniac and pushing the limits. "tournaments"

You will be getting a great hull design and a very good boat if said one has not been beat to death. The wires and appearance of a 15 year old hull is what it is. All can be fixed. I just spent 2 hours buffing the non skid on mine. Shiny and ready to repel the next 1000 dirty feet and shoes. I swear my customers walk and take pictures of the fork lift and walk around in the mess it makes before they board.

There are certain areas you would want to check. The liners for the storage boxes/hatches are an indicator and if there is a crack in the 

deck somewhere I would have to research that real hard.

Remember, I have guide friends that can ruin an iron wedge without ever leaving the dock.

11 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

You need to visually check the stringer by the sea chest. Look for cracks both inside and outside around the sea chest. I have seen 3 21 MA come apart there. It will leak into the hull there if that issue is present. I would put the boat in the water and sea trial. Check bilge for water after a good sea trial. If there is any water in the bilge you better start looking around really good. I believe Master repair has fixed one with the issue. You may want to talk with them to get further details. It is not an easy fix.

Troy was this the case for the 18 Master Angler too? I know of the 21MA issue but never heard of it with an 18.

50 Eggs and Greg (and Big Snook if you are still willing!) - 

I spoke w/ the owner yesterday about the condition.  He shot me a note last night saying he'd gotten her cleaned up.   If either of you happen to pass by today and take a peek, I'd be curious to get your reaction.  Not critical - at this point, pending the report and pics from the mechanic today, I think I'll be sealing the deal, but would be curious how well she cleaned up.

Im gonna miss you ohhhh-in and awwwwwwe-in at all the master anglers that came along in classifieds 

Congrat on boat. Don't got too worked up about the cleanliness focus on condition. You can always clean it. I've bought two of my MBC boats from other states site unseen. Both were one owner, well taken care but of dirty boats 🙄. 

I have a buddy in fort Meyers who just sold his old MA to his marine mechanic down there who's gonna redo whole thing.  Might be a good guy to look over since he's familiar with the boats. Let me know  it if you want I can  try and track down his info.  

BTW I have same motor on my 22 Pathy and it's a beast of a motor for a 150.

Thanks Justfish - Everything you wrote makes me feel better about this thing.  At the end of the day, every used boat purchase is a risk, and I'm pretty comfortable with what I'm getting myself into.  BTW, don't you think for one second that I'm going to stop ooooohing and awwwwwwwwing over every MA that shows up in the classifieds.  There are no rules that say I can't own THREE or FOUR of these simultaneously . . . or is that greedy? :)   Very good to know about that engine, btw - very excited at the prospect of having 150 horsies behind me.  I was happy with the 115, and more is ALWAYS better.  If you have that Marine Mechanic's info, I'd love to contact him.

Big Snook - If you are willing to swing by and look at it and snap some pics, that would be great.  I am hoping to have it shipped out of there Wednesday afternoon or Thursday a.m. - depending on when I get the check down to them.  IF you want a free ride, the guys agreed to do a wet test if I can find someone who is wiling to go.  A lot to ask though.

Mine is just like Mr Fin's -HPDI  

I was worried it would be a little underpowered on the 22'er as just about everyone but Mr Fin says 150 isn't enough.  Took me one holeshot to put those worries aside.  Likley the 6 cyl vs the 4 of the four stroke, but this motor has some nice low end power.  You should be quite happy on that MA.  

I gotta admit I'm not familiar with the difference in ox66 and HPDI but believe they are both fuel injected motors. The instant start rather than finicky carb'ed start is worth it's weight in gold if you ask me. 

From what I remember the 0X 66 is a closed loop fuel injected motor. It does have the VST filter and 02 sensor which are shared components with the HPDI. Both of which are a maintenance item that is fairly simple to address. I had one that I kept for a long time and it was a good engine. Very strong in throttle response. Make sure you burn the recommended octane fuel in it and it being an older engine I would avoid the use of ethanol.

Archived