Ulterra Update ? Any Issues?

Wanaflatsfish

It will be about 10 months since I loaded my Ulterra on the skinny mini....

My observations:

1.)  I could have gone with smaller TM batteries and saved 20 lbs or so...I have the series 27's and never have seen below 3 bars..

2.) I have not had a since issue with the unit; however, it is sensitive to the following:

a.) You must have a perfect connection with the TM plug - i am happy with the battery tender

b.) Your batteries must be fully charged in your hand remote or it will not connect well to the TM unit

c.) I keep two extra batteries in my dry box

d.) It runs perfectly on long runs - I normally stop 100 yards from a fishing spot and it moves quickly to my fishing spots

e.) No issues with any control or up/down issues

Anyone having any issues or complaints?

dc

Mine developed a pretty severe problem just several months after installation.   At any speed above 4, the motor stats surging for about 10 seconds and then shuts off.  Which means my max useable speed is 3.  I believe the board needs replacing.  But, since I am in the middle of my fishing season, and anybody who can work on it around here says it would take 2 or 3 weeks, i am using it like it is until January.  It will be under warranty.  The only other thing I can think of would be lack of voltage, but I have checked all the connections from the batteries to the troller, and don't see any problems.  My intention is to get it repaired next Jan, sell it and upgrade to the new version with the remote sensor.  On spot lock, the swings can be too wide if you are fishing next to a dock, pilings or any type of structure.

I LOVE the auto deploy.  Will never go back to manual.  I'm too old for manual!!!!👍

10 hours ago, JEM said:

Mine developed a pretty severe problem just several months after installation.   At any speed above 4, the motor stats surging for about 10 seconds and then shuts off.  Which means my max useable speed is 3.  I believe the board needs replacing.  But, since I am in the middle of my fishing season, and anybody who can work on it around here says it would take 2 or 3 weeks, i am using it like it is until January.  It will be under warranty.  The only other thing I can think of would be lack of voltage, but I have checked all the connections from the batteries to the troller, and don't see any problems.  My intention is to get it repaired next Jan, sell it and upgrade to the new version with the remote sensor.  On spot lock, the swings can be too wide if you are fishing next to a dock, pilings or any type of structure.

I LOVE the auto deploy.  Will never go back to manual.  I'm too old for manual!!!!👍

what kind of plug?  battery tender is the only way to go....IMHO....great connection

i think they are very sensitive to voltage....also, buy another remote and pair it...see if it makes a difference.

dc

I love the features of of mine...but she is currently in the shop. Two issues that may be related but the trim motor started making lost of noise on the rise...then later both directions...then later lil oil on shaft then the head overheated so that is deformed the plastic. Keep ya posted. Another buddy has one that the trim motor has gone out on already. MK has some kinda pow wow conference in December bringing in all the techs to go over some new mods to them or something another. 

11 hours ago, triplec said:

I love the features of of mine...but she is currently in the shop. Two issues that may be related but the trim motor started making lost of noise on the rise...then later both directions...then later lil oil on shaft then the head overheated so that is deformed the plastic. Keep ya posted. Another buddy has one that the trim motor has gone out on already. MK has some kinda pow wow conference in December bringing in all the techs to go over some new mods to them or something another. 

I feel pretty good then....I guess my unit is doing fine....let's hope it stays that way :)

dc

Both my prior trollers, a Minn kota I Pilot, and a Motor Guide 24V hand control, had board issues.  Once the boards were  replaced (I think 2 or 3 times in the Motor Guide), they were good to go.  So, with my history of board problems and trolling motors, I think that once it is replaced after fishing slows down, my Ulterra will be good to go.  I am using mine every week because even at Speed setting 3, that is as fast as I can fish a bank.  So, it really is not slowing my fishing down.  The only reason I will get rid of it is to upgrade for the better spot lock capability.  But, I do LOVE my Ulterra!!!!!

I am not sure if you can upgrade an older model.  I know they have a separate sensor that must be mounted away from the troller, that works on Bluetooth. The sensor is simply hooked up to 12V power.  And I think the remote is a completely redesigned remote.  My guess is you can't upgrade, but a quick call to Minn Kota would get you the "correct" answer!

I've had mine since last December. Love the auto deploy/stow. The only real issue is related to the Spot Lock feature. We have some pretty heavy tides here in Jax so if you don't keep the boat positioned in a spot when you engage the feature it will move the boat in a pretty aggressive manner. I have to tell anyone on the forward deck to "hold on" when I hit spot lock because it will almost throw you off...I've gotten better at holding a spot when I engage but I think the GPS receiver is a little slow and weak. It takes a good minute or so to settle down depending on the current.

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

So,, on this new spot lock improvement - any idea if that is firmware or hardware?  Wondering if there is a way to upgrade boards/etc on the older ipilots to get the better spot lock.

The only way to upgrade is to buy the new bluetooth system but I haven't seen it available as standalone item not already installed on a motor.  Maybe down the road ?  Have to ask Minn Kota.

The new hardware that comes with the bluetooth units includes a compass that you align with the keel so the head knows where the boat is pointing instead of just where the trolling motor is pointing.  Looks just like a gps puck.  Supposedly it helps the navigation function hold a better track.  I won't have a chance to check that out until springtime since I'm done for the year here on OH, but I have had a chance to use the new spotlock which is much improved from my 2011 model, and the "Jog" function which is fantastic.  Once you are on Spot Lock you can move 5 feet at a time (per button press) forward, back, left, or right.  It lets you fine tune your spotlock placement in case you end up off the mark you wanted, as well as "jog" along a bank as you fish.

Archived