Late Feb/Early March Keys trip advice

Marshfly

So, my kid gets the entire week off of school for Mardi Gras so we are planning a keys trip for the week of Feb 25-March 4. I'll be hauling my HPX-V 18 down and will be renting a place with a place to dock the boat. Any advice on where to headquarter would be appreciated. I have been centering my search on the Islamorada area due to the immediate access to Florida Bay but am wondering if I'm making a mistake not driving the additional time down further.

Also, wondering if it is a real concern looking for a house on the ocean side in case the wind gets up and makes it choppy to run back to the bay side. Is that a real concern or not something to worry about?

Any advice would be definitely appreciated.

they don't call it the fishing capital of the world for nothing :)

Islamorada is the best option for family.....lots of restaurants, stores, etc.

The run from Islamorada to Flamingo is about 35-40 min once you hit the open bay....unless it's blowing 15-20..you can always cross..especially to Flamingo...I'd stay on the Bay side vs ocean in case it blows up and you need to get around into a cut...

If it lays down, you can bonefish out front or fish the cuts and bridges...

dc

It looks like we might have narrowed it down to Islamorada or Key Largo due to the quick run to Florida Bay and ENP. Personally, I'd much rather home base out of Islamorada, but your VRBO dollar goes much further in Marathon and Key Largo it seems. And there is much more availability it looks like. I've found a couple of houses close to the cut in Key Largo on the bay side that might work.

Thoughts on that plan?

I lived on Long Key for a few years, and I really liked the access from there into the bay/park. I know there are a few rentals on the island, but they might be hard to get (especially that time of year). You might also consider Lime Tree Bay Resort (on Long Key); they have nice hotel rooms and a dock, as well as a few condo units on the canals of Layton. That said, the winds of Feb/March can be tough, and there's a lot of open bay to cross before getting to the protection of mangrove islands and banks up in the park. 

Archived