Sea Tow or Boat US Service

rubble

I've always been a Sea Tow member because it's the only one in my area which you need to consider. The best part of ST is your coverage goes with you not the boat.(not sure if that is the case with TB USA) If you happen to go out on someone elses boat that is not covered it will be covered under your membership. Also good if you own two boats like I do. 

I am in Texas so not sure how helpful this info is but: I have BoatUS and have had to use it 2 times in the last few years. Once locally and another time down in South Padre. Bot times they were great and did not have any hidden or extra fees beyond my yearly membership.  I have heard of SeaTow charging extra fees or saying tows were not covered by regular membership in my area.  The way it was explained to me was both are franchises that a captain can buy into for a specific area but that the SeaTow captains get paid through memberships fees rather than being paid on a per tow basis whereas the BoatUS are paid for each tow directly by the mother company.  The theory is that SeaTow has more incentive to charge extra fees to recoup their expenses.  

You need to check who covers the area you are boating in best. Had Sea Tow originally but they only had one boat in my area compared to Tow Boat that has three. Been a Tow Boat member for about 5 years, used them twice. They were prompt, professional and didn't charge me anything extra. The membership goes with you not the boat.

good luck with your decision.

BoatUS for me. I've used them once in 10 years on my buddy's boat. No issues what so ever. Plus the towing is included in the WM Gold Rewards membership. I get about $40 to $60 per year in "Advantage Rewards". Not much but as the say "every little bit helps". Just renewed and received $20 in certificates for just doing that.

Rubble,

I'm north of you in the Pine Island area and have Boat US. Have needed them twice and both times they arrived quickly and handled everything very professionally with no extra charges.  The payment to them is one of the easiest checks I write each year...

In both companies they are local franchises and you are correct to ask about a specific area, as quality of services (both companies) varies by franchise / area.

Minor correction re ST covering you on another vessel.  If you borrow the boat AND THE OWNER is not aboard, your policy  covers.  If you are on another boat and the owner is aboard, your policy does not cover. Idk re TB policy.     I've had ST for many years, one season had numerous issues & tows (we joked they got to know me by first name).  I even scheduled a tow from my dock to ramp when I sold that boat.  Only additional charges I've seen where boats "unsafe" to tow (like filled with water after Matthew)

Most insurance plans have towing reimbursement, often a $500 limit.  Suggest you get ST or TB membership also, $500 hardly covers first 30 minutes of a tow they charge for.  Not sure if trailer policy worth, I've heard very slow responses, but for $10 or so, I do have.

Archived