Anyone tow with a Honda Pilot?

rubble

Wife wants to tow our Pathy to FL with her Pilot and not my truck. I think we will be pushing the max limits of it's towing capacity (4,500).  I cannot tell the Pathy is behind my 2500HD Duramax. Have a feeling it will push the Pilot around a little and put a lot of pressure on it climbing elevations. 

Where are you towing from? I wouldn't want to be towing long distance on the interstate with anything at close to max capacity. You'll be way over GVW and payload by the time you put all of your vacation stuff in the car too. It's not just about the towing capacity, a lot of it will be how much over the payload rating you are. Long trips at close to capacity are just not fun at all for the driver. Been there and it's miserable.

On 11/20/2016 at 4:47 PM, Nag Juice said:

Why would you if you have a vehicle that's for towing?

On 11/20/2016 at 11:13 PM, justfish said:

This

Didn't you guys read the first line?  It's because he has a wife....

The Pilot might be okay for short trips but I wouldn't take a long trip pulling a boat with it.  I've always heard, and I believe it to be true, that the worst part about towing when at or near capacity isn't the pulling...it's the stopping.  Better safe than sorry.

On November 20, 2016 at 1:33 PM, rubble said:

Wife wants to tow our Pathy to FL with her Pilot and not my truck. I think we will be pushing the max limits of it's towing capacity (4,500).  I cannot tell the Pathy is behind my 2500HD Duramax. Have a feeling it will push the Pilot around a little and put a lot of pressure on it climbing elevations. 

My brother in law towed his 22 Pathy from Miami to Jacksonville with a Ridgeline (same platform and power plant as the pilot) and averaged 7.5-8.0 MPG!!!  Take the Duramax!! 

On November 20, 2016 at 2:56 PM, rubble said:

What are you towing?  My 2000v has a hull wgt of just under 1300#. Add motor, trailer and gear and I have to be pushing 4,000 lbs plus

Have towed my 19 Pathy with my wrangler unlimited (prob more "truck than a Honda)  plenty of time and honestly did well. BUT the keys trips from St aug were BRUTAL.  Just a lot of work towing that much boat that long without a dedicated tow vehicle.  I was pretty spent at end of trip....Take the truck

When I looked at the Pilots, the 4x4 had higher tow ratings because they didn't put transmission coolers on there two wheel drives... On top of that, you mentioned elevations somewhere in your original post.. if you are crossing any type of mountains I wouldn't do it... It would probably be the death of your transmission..

Archived