2000 Maverick Mirage "Lodge Edition" Advice

Nolan97

I bought the boat last may and i'm looking for some advice on layout and other additions such as a grab bar. Having a problem with storage and how to house the wiring and batteries on the boat. The previous owner bolted down the cooler seen in the pictures and was using it for dry storage, but the top recently fell off going down the highway. Was thinking seeing if i could possibly get a back deck glassed in starting at the back bulkhead. Trim tabs and running lights don't work. Overall i want to put some money into the boat to clean up the wiring and add switches, and possibly new paint and non-skid. Don't have a lot of experience with skiffs as this is my first boat, and I am still in college so my budget is tight. Open to any advice on wiring, storage, and layout.

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

8 hours ago, wayne said:

I'm a fan of the coffin box/grab bar style tiller skiff, seems to work well..  

^This.  

Your saying you want to do a lot and then say your budget is tight, obviously those don't go well together. Glsssing in back decks and painting boats isn't cheap.  If it were me, I'd keep it simple as possible and enjoy it....that's the beauty of this boat anyhow.  Couple coolers in those spots, one as a "coffin box" with grab rail like Wayne mentioned and a small electrical panel with basic stuff (bilge, nav lights, trimtabs) in rear so wiring access is easy.  Then get to work cleaning and compounding and I bet you be amazed how beautiful she will be! 

The wiring is fairly simple on these boats especially when you have a lot of access like it seems like this one has.  Get a test light, good voltmeter and start playing around.  It's a lot cheaper to do your own wiring plus you know the boat inside and out when your done. 

Before you go painting, I bet that hull will clean up with some barkeepers friend.  that yellow will clean right up.  a little polish will do wonders also.

Agree with the above.  use it as is.  simple is good!!  spend the money on accessories for now.  the cap can be addressed in the future.

It was good enough for guides!

How are you going to use the boat? It's definately a mission specific vessel.

I'd fish it first as well, lights and trim tabs aren't required at the moment. I'd definately leave it a tiller boat, you start adding consoles and rigging to small skiffs like this you end up with the worst of both worlds. A skiff that pounds you and drafts a lot of water. 

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:14 PM, Nolan97 said:

Tiller extension maybe. 

I understand wanting a rear deck. How about two cheap coolers (one on either side) then span across them with a piece of plywood (painted with white bilge paint). You'll have dry storage and a deck without adding too much weight.

as others have said about this skiff, keep it simple. less is more. agree on coffin box, grab rail and tiller ext. and battery boxes. wiring can be run thru bilge pump type hose for neatness.  small coolers on each side of motor for seating and storage or one lg.

CLEAN and then CLEAN again. sure it will look great. my want to google this skiff for images to see what others have done. just an idea. good luck. :) fin

Archived