Costa C-Mate Reader Sunglasses - Any Reviews?

nicecast

I don't know how they could be "readers" without some form of magnification in the lower part of the lines. I've used cheap Wal-Mart polarized readers for years and never noticed any eye strain. I kept some of those cheap glasses for years, so that should be a clue that I'm easy on glasses.  Bought my first pair of Costa's about a year ago, and they broke in half at the nose piece after 12 months. Will never buy another Costa product. Bought some Smyth Optics (Sun Clouds) with readers for $70. They have a life time warranty, and you don't have to ship them to the factory and argue about warrant stuff. Just return the to any Smyth Optics retailer and they will hand you a new pair. Sorry for the rant, but me and Costa are parting ways.

They do have readers in the bottom 1/3 or so. I think they only come in their plastic lens model. The bifocal is 1.5 and 2.0 option I think. Maybe 2.5 but not sure. I have couple pair that I haven't worn more than time or two as I went with custom pair from my eye doc. I prefer the bifocal to be very small and extremely low. The  C mates and most of the other brands have bifocals that take up to much lens to suit me. I have used the stick on bifocals with good luck too. If you go with Costas and interested in half price ones I can look and see which ones I have. I keep them in the boat for spares but have couple of pairs and a pair of Smiths too w readers.

Got tired of wearing 2 sets of glasses all the time. RX and sunglasses. (I can almost tie knots by feel now. Lol).  Got upset with Costa, switched to RCI.  Love their views!  The however, the lens may be bullet proof, but they do scratch too easy.  At CCA event I bought Costa RX certificate and ordered Costa RX.  Wish the RCI guys did RX (they may now).  Funny, I still wear 2 pairs most of the day, but now on the boat I only need one pair, the RX sunglasses.

Note, I now always have a Cable on my glasses.  Expensive glasses fail the float test..lost a pair in 90ft leaning over to lip gaff, lost a pair in 5 feet when coming to plane too quick & wind blew off.  Expensive lessons. 

Archived