1987 Maverick Master Angler 18.5 $6,900 - Wilmington, NC

whichwaysup

For sale:  1987 18.5 Maverick Master Angler and aluminum trailer.   I have owned the boat for nearly 3 years and she made me fall in love with the Master Angler hull design.  I am only selling because I stumbled on a much newer one.  This hull has no wood in its construction.  If you are not familiar with Mavericks and specifically the Master Angler, do a little research.  This hull is known for its ability to get skinny, but also handle some pretty nasty chop.   The boat currently has a 1988 2-stroke Yamaha 115 on it, which runs great, but has several issues that will either require significant work, or more likely, a repower - more on that in a minute.  

The boat comes very well equipped with:

- 74 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor on a quick-release mount (24 volt system).  

- Hummin'bird 898 side scan sonar (7" screen)

- Hydraulic Hydro-Jacker Jack Plate

- 3 Optima Blue Top Batteries (2 2 group 27's less than 2 years old, 1 group 24 (house battery) less than 3 years old)

- 2 bank onboard charger

- 2 piece push pole (with storage on trailer when not in use)

- Additional accessories:  Stainless steel flip up push pole holders, SS rod holders mounted on poling platform, stainless steel prop, docking lights (think "headlights" for your boat).  The boat also has a mount for a pedestal seat on the bow.  

As for the motor - I just found out that the motor (which has been fantastically reliable) needs work on its mounting brackets, as well as the tilt and trim motor.   The motor fires up first crank every time and pushes her 40-43 MPH depending on how many people she's carrying.   Between the trim and tilt motor and the mounting, unless you are handy, you will pay more to get it fixed (~3K) than to repower it.  You can hang a 2000 150 vmax on the back for under 5K if you contact this guy: http://mbgforum.com/topic/3633-2000-yamaha-150-vmax-ox66-fuel-injected-20-shaft-fully-serviced/.   I had a mechanic check it out today and the motor is usable in the short run as is, but something that will need to be addressed pretty quickly.

The wiring is in good condition - no rats nest to deal with.  I don't know if the boat has ever been re-wired or if it has just been well maintained, but it is very clean.

This boat has no wood in the construction and is in turn-key condition.  The live wells are "flow through," meaning, they have no pumps.   Everything about this boat is simple.  The trailer is a 1990 Aluminator and is in good condition.  The hubs and axle were replaced a couple of years ago.  

If you search the MBG forum you will find a thread about this boat and the work that has been done on it.  

20160624_165641.jpg

20160506_104403.jpg

20160506_104410.jpg

rps20150111_153358.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Updated the ad.  Took the boat to a mechanic today because I noticed a little wiggle in the engine last time I took it out.  Turns out the engine mounting bracket is shot, and with the tilt/trim in its current shape, I'm basically looking at a total loss on the engine.  Frickin heart breaking to find this out NOW.

Price is updated to reflect the value of the boat, equipment, and trailer.  Engine continues to run fine, but with a bad mounting bracket, a re-power is necessary.  Had a convo w/ Matt Conrad about power options - he has a 2000 OX66 150 you could slap on the back for under 5K.  

Thanks all for looking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived