24v or 36v on 21MA

OldestCityLocal

I have to agree with what is above.  I have an 80# on my 18's and I feel like its about the perfect amount of power.  More boat for that thrust would leave you wanting unless you are going to be fishing in lakes.   

Best advice I ever got was that you simply can't over buy when it comes to trolling motors.   I underbought the first time and sorely regretted it.  It cost me a lot of extra money later when I had to upgrade.

The only drawback to a 36volt is the added weight and price.  Depending where the battery will be mounted the extra weight may not effect it that much.  I have a 36 volt on my 21 Redfisher but will be going to a 24 because the trolling motor battery compartment on mine is in the bow and dropping the extra #s up front makes mine ride better.

I believe here on the west coast of Florida we have weaker tides and can get away with the 24V trolling motors. On the East coast where you have larger tide swings the 24v may be adequate but with the 36v you would never have to worry about big tides swings. JMO

The only reason for not going 36v is my setup currently is rigged for 24v and 3 bank battery charger. Just got it all done. If everyone said they ran 36v I would have to change but thinking I'll stay with a 80lb and if it's that bad I'll change it out. Take it to matanzas inlet and set spot lock see if it holds. 4-5kts. Usually. 

I had a MK 24v 80 before I went to a MK 36v 112 I Pilot on my 22 Patfinder.......the 24v was adequate, however if you are fighting strong tide flow, you will notice the batteries losing power faster with the 24v than on the 36v. If your normal day is 8 hours on water...and you are using the trolling motor a lot, you will only get 4 to 5 hours out of the 24v. With that said... I fish mostly the Georgia and South Carolina coast and the current rips pretty hard and we have and average of 6 ft to 7 ft tides. 

• 5 weeks later...

Archived