Need new cushions for my MA17

pondfisher

32 minutes ago, JEM said:

Her number is 772-579-6274.

Got her voicemail and it says "voice mailbox if full and cannot accept any messages at this time".  So that presumably means she's swamped.  Anybody else I could use?  My 2000 MA17 cushions are just about shot (very thin) and I really need to do this.  Getting older = need comfort.

8 minutes ago, pondfisher said:

Got her voicemail and it says "voice mailbox if full and cannot accept any messages at this time".  So that presumably means she's swamped.  Anybody else I could use?  My 2000 MA17 cushions are just about shot (very thin) and I really need to do this.  Getting older = need comfort.

Same story for me. My cushions provide about as much support as 3 napkins lol If you find someone in the tampa area let me know and I will have them do mine as well. 

Really, you should have some quality upholstery shops who do marine work in your area.  Ask around marinas or boat dealers, and they should be able to point you in a good direction.  Even in my relatively small town, I have an upholstery shop who does quality work.  In fact, he just made a custom full cover for my Pathy 2200V.

attachments[1] (2).jpg

19 hours ago, JEM said:

Really, you should have some quality upholstery shops who do marine work in your area.  Ask around marinas or boat dealers, and they should be able to point you in a good direction.  Even in my relatively small town, I have an upholstery shop who does quality work.  In fact, he just made a custom full cover for my Pathy 2200V.

attachments[1] (2).jpg

JEM - just curious.  My new-to-me Maverick came with a customer cover very very simliar to that.   They guy mentioned, in passing that it was a "thousand dollar cover."   Just curious if that is realistic?  It is in good shape, and if it's a thousand bucks to replace it, I think I'll invest in a cover for the cover!! :)  All teasing aside, I am wondering if there is weather/uv proofing that I can apply to it to help it last longer - any recommendations would be appreciated.

That is probably realistic.  For my 22, I have just under $1500 in it.   But that includes covering the motor and trolling motor, as well as a separate cover for the Power Pole.  Of course, the price will vary as to what material is used, with Sunbrella probably the most expensive.   I think weather proofing is a great idea, but you should probably  check with the manufacturer of the material for any recommendations.  I will only be using my cover for 3 or 4 months a year, from September through December, when I am fishing.  The rest of the year, I will be keeping it in a marina barn.  So, like my upholsterer man told me, the cover will last longer than I will.:D 

21 hours ago, lurem said:

I was thinking the same thing Pondfisher. I was looking at the new thicker cushions that come on the redfishers and would like to have a comfy place to sit for my old bones. Let me know what you find.

Dale,

I upgraded to 4 inch foam when I redid mine. Makes a big difference over the factory cushion.

To add to the discussion, have you looked at doing seats like theses? 

I installed these on my lake and bay last night and they are awesome! Built in suspension and I have the slider plate that let's me slide them forward and back. I can slide forward and drive the boat while leaning back instead of being hunched over. If you are in Tampa Bay area and want to try them out if it's something you think you might like let me know. I really like it over the standard flat cushions.

I think we all know the hunched over driving stance that basically every flats boat has. These seats eliminated that. 

20161208_220922.jpg

Hurricane has those seats on his Maverick and they are so comfortable!! That may be another option to consider seeing how another complaint I have is I want a backrest. I know my redfisher has the  flip up seat from the factory but when i have it flipped up and am seated I cannot get a good view over the console and if I slide back to use the backrest I cannot reach the steering wheel to drive!

The swivel seats with adjustable bases may be the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I've been having a dialogue with Sandy and she wants to do the cushions at 3.5" thick which doesn't seem to be a huge difference in thickness over the stock cushions.  There is a guy locally in the Tampa Bay area who does them at 4" thick which is a little better I think. Recently I saw some bench cushions on a flats boat and they were THICK... probably 5" and man they looked great. 

Does anybody know what the current stock thickness is on MBC boats?  I just don't think 3.5" is thick enough...

Thanks.

Archived