Batteries and chargers for trolling motor

Charles

Have decided to add a Riptide Ulterra 112 LB 60" shaft I-pilot to my 23' HPS w/250max.  Would like advice on batteries to use (Gel or 2 in 1) and a charging system for 4.   And your thoughts on adding a DC alternator onboard charger to help while the engine is running. 

I've been pretty happy with the Stealth and regular lead acid batteries.  Think about how you will use all your batteries, I have a pretty good load on my house battery, so like the charge on the run.  I have an independent cranking battery, just feel better with that setup.  I fought battery setups over the years and this is what works best for me.  I don't think there is a one size fits all.  I live bait fish and like the radio on, so am running lots of stuff all of the time in addition to the TMs.  I found support at Stealth to be really good.  They were very helpful in the overall setup of the system to maximize run time and battery life. 

4 hours ago, Charles said:

AGM appears to be the type of battery to use but they are made by varies manufacturers.  Any advice on who's product I should buy?

My Cabelas brand have served me well.  First set lasted 9 years before one went belly up.  I replaced 'em both, but kept the second old battery as my CPAP power-outage backup.  It lasted another two years on "light duty".  Second set is  going strong.

I can't speak to the other brands, but there's considerable value in having a local source for quick service in case of issues.   Sams ?

I have 4 Optima Blue Top D31's and a ProMariner Tornament Elite 4 bank charger. That charger has settings for 3 different types of batteries with one of them being for blue tops. I've had this system for over a year now since I got my boat and have been very happy with it

Deka batteries are what I have used.     there are only around 4 battery manufacturers that make AGM batteries in the USA. Most batteries that you'll find Bass Pro Cabela's Walmart etc,  if they are agm they come from one of those for manufacturers, if you can find out which manufacturers batteries you want sometimes you can find an off-brand from that manufacture and save a little money. I always use the Deka batteries and have had great luck with them, I do know they make some of the off brands and just put different wraps on the batteries.

FWIW, Deka batteries are made by East Penn Manufacturing and they also make the Duracell AGM batteries sold at Sam's. I have a set of Group 31Duracells and they have been excellent.  Plus charging AGMs doesn't produce the corrosive gas produced by lead acid batteries.  Something to consider.

22 hours ago, rckeat said:

FWIW, Deka batteries are made by East Penn Manufacturing and they also make the Duracell AGM batteries sold at Sam's. I have a set of Group 31Duracells and they have been excellent.  Plus charging AGMs doesn't produce the corrosive gas produced by lead acid batteries.  Something to consider.

Thanks for the clarification .       that's good info to have next time someone needs batteries.

Archived