2300 transducer/gcv 10

aywolf

I have a few questions about sonar setup. I have a 2016 2300 with a Garmin 741 xs and the Airmar p79 transducer. I wish I had researched a little more about the P79 before installation as I've never had a shoot thru before. (Dealer chose it) My unit is not reading depth at all now. I suspect it's a fluid issue based on what I have read. I removed the pie hole and can see the ducer but how in the heck do you get down to it to add fluid? At 6-1 and 250 lbs, I'm not sure it's possible. I assume the top screws off and you just add antifreeze?

Also been thinking about adding a GCV 10. Can the ducer for this be mounted on the jack plate and if not ...where? Are there any spray/roostertail issues with the long ducer?  Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.....thanks...Rob 

• 1 month later...

I only viewed this because I had the same problem with the same garmin / transducer on my new 23 HPS 2015.  After talking to garmin and mbc about the transducer  I went to the dealer to have them check the fluid level which was a oil base not antifreeze that was recommended by the company that produces the transducer.  They told me the oil base product will eventually make the epoxy to separate from the fiberglass.  Mine was installed at MBC and they suggested working thru the dealer.  The dealer wanted to take off the console in order to just check the level or replace it with antifreeze which would cost $$$.  MBC said that was overkill and did not suggested it.  Even at my age I decide to take on the task and it wasn't easy.  I replaced the oil with antifreeze and all was well on performance for 2 months then the fluid level was down stopping the depth recorder!   MBC suggested using 5200 around the contact area of the transducer which worked for 3-4 months before the level went down again.  I decide to order new o-rings for the transducer company and it now 6 months and no problem.  I know 2 23' owners that have thru the hull transducers and complained about the depth recording stop at 30mph even in calm waters.  Mine results are a lot better so I have lived with the problem.

I had the same sounder system set up on my on my 2600 and I had the same issues over and over.  So I took it out and installed a thru hull transducer....no issues since and I have a much clearer picture and am marking more fish especially in shallow water which I never could see before......

On 2/5/2017 at 10:11 AM, Dawgfan said:

I had the same sounder system set up on my on my 2600 and I had the same issues over and over.  So I took it out and installed a thru hull transducer....no issues since and I have a much clearer picture and am marking more fish especially in shallow water which I never could see before......

I thought about thru the hull transducer but I know a guide that did it on his 23' HPS and it would stop reading when he went over 30 mph.  I don't have that problem with the in-hull at any speed since I figured the fluid leak problem.  I will lose the depth reading in choppy conditions but less problems when I lower the tabs.

Archived