Bilge Pump ugh !!

Lowcountry Joe

I decided to change out my bilge pump. Everything was going fine until I went to place the exit hose on the pump. It was a tad short so I pulled a little hard and it disconnected from the exit port ! My question is how do I attach it to the exit port. I can't get to it because the water/fuel separator panel is in front of it. I noticed a plastic tube inside the chrome exit hole. I'm thinking if I remove this tube from the outside , and get a new longer one and feed it through the exit, attach the hose to it , and push it back out the exit and cut it flush that should do it. Is this possible ? Is this the way to attach the bilge pump hose to the exit ? Has anybody done this before ?  HELP !!

I know this because I installed a rod holder very close to the exit hose and saw this after I drilled the hole. The hose is secured to the through hull fitting with hose clamps. I thought to myself when I saw it that if that hose were to ever come off it would be impossible to put it back on without cutting a inspection hole inside the rigging box and then it still would be difficult. I hope you can prove me wrong with a easier/different solution. 

If the fuel water seperator is right where you need to get I would take the F/W seperator off and cut the a neat rectangular hole to get to the fitting. Then us a piece of starboard  to cover the hole with about 3/4 inch overlap. Reattach the F?W seperator and it will look clean and neat. 1/2 starboard should work fine. Round the edges to give a finished look and tahe the sharp edges off the starboard.

Update : I cut a hole as high up to the gunnel as I could and still could not see the exit fitting. However, when I pulled on the hose  it was still attached  !!  What gave me resistance and finally let go when I pulled on the hose initially was a cable tie on the hose. I have to say that if the hose had come off the fitting, there's no way to reattach it, I would cut a new exit as nhinshoreangler has suggested . 

Archived